Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Other than a minor setback on the weekend (I had restaurant food), I've been feeling GREAT.
I've been lactose-free and eating Manna bread for almost 2 weeks now.I don't want to stop the bread in case it's the reason for my new-found good health, and if I eat/drink something with lactose, it may just be an IBS "trigger" rather than an intolerance. Therefore, I think it's time for a lactose (hydrogen breath) test. Do you know what type of doctor does this test? Is it a gastroenterologist? Is it done in a hospital or a clinic?Thanks gang! Fiona

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had the lactose intolerance test several years ago and it was my gastroenterologist who did the work. This is the test where you drink a liquid, then every 15 or maybe 30 minutes blow into a bag so they can measure the content -- I did great -- my levels went up almost immediately, altho I did the entire test (2 or 3 hours, I can't remember which). Good luck, it's not painful or difficult.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Phyllis!I was hoping it was a different doc -- I can't get in to see the GI doc until the end of November! Oh well... I'll keep on trucking!
Finally a test I'm not afraid of!!!Fiona

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Fiona,I just wanted you to be aware that it may not be the lactose in milk. My Dr. said that many IBSers have trouble with the protein in milk products. I cannot tolerate dairy for this reason. Lactaid products don't work for me. I use Rice Dream, a milk made from brown rice. Yum.
AZ
[This message has been edited by AZmom1 (edited 10-12-2000).]

G

·
i have to have one of those tests too - they are doing it at the GI clinic.hope it is soon - like to know the outcome!i can't even drink rice milk which is really weird!!they think i might have celiacs which can cause a temporary lactose intollerance at the villi that is damaged by the gluten contains the lactase enzyme that breaks down milk...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.