Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting for a referral from my regular doctor. But in the meantime I looked up Colon and Rectal surgeons on my health insurance website. And there were NONE listed! I have crappy insurance so this does not suprise me.So I'm hoping another type of surgeon can do it. Can a general surgeon do it? Or maybe a gastrointestinal surgeon do it? Does it need to be a rectal surgeon? If it does most likely we'd have to pay a $500 deductable, plus 50% of the surgery since they don't have any "in network" doctors. Boy do I hate insurance companies.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Jennifer, I had two of them a year apart done by two different surgeons, both of them were general surgeons. I went to a major medical center (Yale New Haven) and I didn't see any surgeons there that specialized in this. I was referred to these surgeons by by gastroenterologist, so I think it's general surgeons that do most of this type of surgery. The surgery isn't that complicated for most fistulas. Did they determine the cause of the fistula? They never did determine the cause of mine.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh good! I was hoping a general surgeon could do it, seeing as my insurance does have general surgeons on the list! I'll have to call the surgeon who did my gallbladder surgery and see if he does it. He was very easy to get in to see, and did a great job. Never thought I'd have to see him again so soon! Ah well I guess paying $100 copay is better then paying $500 plus 50% of the bill!
I really don't like insurance companies!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.