Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Jeff:I hope you got my anonymous donation I sent a few months ago in way of a Canada Post Money Order. Obviously there are members who need the support of this BB but can't afford it. I'll send funds when I can.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Any word yet on setting it up as a charitable donation for taxes? or using Royal Direct as a payee to send money?

G

·
More advertising, donations and fund raisers are a good way to go. It may not happen here, but when my dance group decided to raise fees, several people quit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If the annual subscription wasnt an extortionate amount I dont think people would mind paying. Jeff could obviously have final say in the matter and if there were people who couldnt afford it then could let them off.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hi JeffJust getting myself set up on paypal europe so I can transfer funds to you electronically instead of by snail-mail - I'll probably be back in touch when i'm up and running asking a zillion questions on how to get money to you!
Clair

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I am concerned that if dues where charged to access the board, or to post on the board, a lot of people who really need this board and really don't have a lot of money wouldn't be able to get the help they needed.I was a member of this board for more than a year before I finally made a financial contribution. I don't know how long it takes for people to realize just how wonderful and valuable it is. For me, it was that I didn't have a lot of extra money, and it took that long for me to help out some. And it probably should have been larger. But if we all donated just a small amount, how much would that be??Also, I know from doing online sales at work that PayPal takes a pretty good cut of monies. Is this a not-for-profit group that gets charged less than businesses do?I wouldn't mind increased ads on the pages. I HATE pop-up ads, and hate pop-unders even more. I really hope the board doesn't have to resort to that to keep afloat. But I also have no idea how much it costs to keep running and how far from that amount the board is.Maybe you could make a square ad that says something like "The BB needs your support!" and a "Donate" button. The current button is pretty low-key, and I'd bet a lot of members, especially newer members, don't realize the need is there or it is that easy to help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I for one didn't realize there was a need for donations? I guess I haven't really read everyone on the bb. Makes sense there would be an associated cost. Unfortantely for me things are tight once, I get this LEAP figured out and then hopefully Mikes tapes then I would be more then willing to send in something. With my husband being and xENRON and still looking for work $ is very tight. Believe you me unemployment doesn't pay much and it will be cut off in 13 weeks. God I hope he finds full-time work before 13 more weeks. Regardless, I agree there should be some kind of fee associated but would certainly hope it is on a sliding scale especially for those that just don't have any extra after bills are paid. Count me in at some point.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Audrey, I also spent some time collecting unemployment this year, and so have many others on the board. I know there are a lot of people for whom money is tight. And there must be some for whom money isn't so tight. That is why I think the current donation system is good... if you have some money to donate, you can. And the amount of money that constitutes a small donation would vary between people.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just sent you a small donation via paypal. Even though I voted for annual dues as one of the choices, I do have concerns that dues would keep some who need the board away. However, given the number of members, the dues could probably be kept very low (like maybe a dollar or two a month) if the advertising and other options were used in conjunction with dues.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't know how the other members feel about this but I would rather donate when I can. I think this BB is valuable and I know it costs money to operate. I would prefer more advertising if possible and maby more reminders that you need money. I have been lax in this and I am sending a donation this week. Maybe be all need reminding more often. "The check will be in the mail."

·
Registered
152 Posts
i aggree with luna. Most of the time we have to take money from my grama whos retired to buy food. Others cant afford to donate. I would love to donate next time i have the extra cash but charging a fee in my oppinion would make most people slighty annoyed and what about the ones who cant afford it?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Jeff, what about sending out an e-mail once a year to frequent BB users asking for a suggested donation? Or a once-a-year campaign like PBS where everyone is reminded all over the website that it's time to make a donation or pledge?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.