Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if you believe your current profession impacts your health. I'm a technical writer in Vancouver (laid off a few months ago . . . sniff, sniff), and sometimes I wonder whether the volatility of the IT industry has created a lot of stress for me and not helped my IBS. Do you think the nature of your profession affects your health or suits your current situation? Any thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi djm,Oh yes, I believe the high tech industry is extremely tough on the health. I have been in this industry for 13 years and just recently left a job as president of a high tech research firm. The stress of that job made my IBS unbearable. I have started my own business as a consultant and I am doing much better and I am much more sane. Working 80 hours weeks will kill you. Stress, fatigue and constant adrenalin will make IBS a monster.If I were you I would go contract and render your services to a variety of sources and be your own boss! It's the only way to go!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi djm,Oh yes, I believe the high tech industry is extremely tough on the health. I have been in this industry for 13 years and just recently left a job as president of a high tech research firm. The stress of that job made my IBS unbearable. I have started my own business as a consultant and I am doing much better and I am much more sane. Working 80 hours weeks will kill you. Stress, fatigue and constant adrenalin will make IBS a monster.If I were you I would go contract and render your services to a variety of sources and be your own boss! It's the only way to go!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd say any work where there are bathrooms around and you don't have to travel.Probably the worst job with IBS would be something like "Attendant for the Matterhorn Sky Tram".By the way, does anyone know if the subway trains in N.Y.city have bathrooms on them? -JOHN

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd say any work where there are bathrooms around and you don't have to travel.Probably the worst job with IBS would be something like "Attendant for the Matterhorn Sky Tram".By the way, does anyone know if the subway trains in N.Y.city have bathrooms on them? -JOHN

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Rest Room attendant would be good for me
Seriously, I guess the best thing would be some sort of self employment. If you can be a consultant like Carolyn said, that would be ideal I suppose. Anywhere where you can make your own hours. I'm not sure I could personally consult, I'm only a bathroom expert at this point. But any way to be your own boss would be good I guess. BQ[This message has been edited by BQ (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Rest Room attendant would be good for me
Seriously, I guess the best thing would be some sort of self employment. If you can be a consultant like Carolyn said, that would be ideal I suppose. Anywhere where you can make your own hours. I'm not sure I could personally consult, I'm only a bathroom expert at this point. But any way to be your own boss would be good I guess. BQ[This message has been edited by BQ (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well I think I am so lucky. Having IBS-D is quite a nightmare most of the time, but sometimes I think I had a guardian angel watching over me. In 1987 I found the perfect job. I worked as a receptionist for a business that had 50+ woman working at home as medical transcriptionists. Back then my IBS was not a problem. I knew that work at home thing would come in handy some day when I had kids. It did, but little did I know my IBS-D would take over my life in 1991. Thank heavens I work at home. It has its down sides but more positive aspects, no strange bathrooms, running in front of coworkers, wear what you want, no traffic, lunch or breakfast in the next room, etc. I don't think I could handle a job out of my home any time soon, I thank God I found this field when I did! The pay isn't too bad. I'm a fairly slow typist, I only type 200 lines an hour, at 7 cents a line that's 14 dollars an hour before taxes. A friend of mine types 500 lines an hour though and makes 35 dollars an hour. I think that's pretty darn good for working at home.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well I think I am so lucky. Having IBS-D is quite a nightmare most of the time, but sometimes I think I had a guardian angel watching over me. In 1987 I found the perfect job. I worked as a receptionist for a business that had 50+ woman working at home as medical transcriptionists. Back then my IBS was not a problem. I knew that work at home thing would come in handy some day when I had kids. It did, but little did I know my IBS-D would take over my life in 1991. Thank heavens I work at home. It has its down sides but more positive aspects, no strange bathrooms, running in front of coworkers, wear what you want, no traffic, lunch or breakfast in the next room, etc. I don't think I could handle a job out of my home any time soon, I thank God I found this field when I did! The pay isn't too bad. I'm a fairly slow typist, I only type 200 lines an hour, at 7 cents a line that's 14 dollars an hour before taxes. A friend of mine types 500 lines an hour though and makes 35 dollars an hour. I think that's pretty darn good for working at home.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Gosh Karen that is great. I been wanting to do something here at home. Not only do I have ibs but I have anxiety/panic attacks too with agoraphobic, and I would love to work from my home on my computer. But live in a small town and it would be hard to find something to do here at home like that, but I really enjoyed reading your successful story at getting to work at home
Good Job.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Gosh Karen that is great. I been wanting to do something here at home. Not only do I have ibs but I have anxiety/panic attacks too with agoraphobic, and I would love to work from my home on my computer. But live in a small town and it would be hard to find something to do here at home like that, but I really enjoyed reading your successful story at getting to work at home
Good Job.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Wow! Cool Karen!!! I guess they kinda expect ya to type well huh? That would put me out of the running for that. 200 lines per hour would translate into how many words per minute? Do you know? Sounds super fast to me. Way to go tho!!! I wish you continued success.
BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Wow! Cool Karen!!! I guess they kinda expect ya to type well huh? That would put me out of the running for that. 200 lines per hour would translate into how many words per minute? Do you know? Sounds super fast to me. Way to go tho!!! I wish you continued success.
BQ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm a computer programmer. I've pretty much told the boss that travel is absolutely out of the question, unless it's a corporate emergency. I've only had to travel once in the past 6 years or so. This one this year was just as bad as the times over 6 years ago. I worried about food and bathrooms. However, I've gotten pretty open about having a problem, and the rest of the team didn't even bat an eye when I kept walking out in the middle of meetings.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.