Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had IBS for years now and I've just decided to finally get some medication to help it. I was wondering what types of medications, anti-depressants, or any other treatments everyone else is using. Please let me know how well they work and any weird side effects. Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
For me the only medications that have any effects are as follows:BUSCOPAN - an emergency medication for those times when you just can't stand it and you have trouble doing anything. This is an anti-spasmodic. It helps control, but not cure IBS.DICETEL - 100mg 3 times a day with meals. This helps to "cure" IBS, in the sense that it treats it where it is needed - with food.CELEXA - this is an anti-depressant/nervousness medication. While I do not believe that stress causes IBS, I do believe that it can make it much worse. This medication helps to prevent that from happening.CLONAZEPAM and ATIVAN - when I have been extremely sick and find it hard to sleep, my doctor has given me this.Other that I tried but did not find helpful were: modulon, sertraleen, fluvoxamine.If you have problems with lactose, you may want to take Lactaid. Hope this was helpful!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Right now i am onbentyl, 10 mg, 3 times a day anti spasmodiclevsin, as needed, melts under my tongue, antispasmodicphenergan, for nausea and vomitingcompazine, for nausea and vomitingnone of these meds have stopped my attacks. i am returning to the gi doc for more testing.i am also usually on an antidepressant, but am between meds right now.marriah

·
Registered
90 Posts
Culturelle-lactobacillus gg, a probiotic to keep healthy intestinal flora when D gets rid of it.Levsin- Anti-spasmotic as needed.Paxil- Antidepressant for anxiety and depressionFibercon- duh . . .Ensure with fiber and FOS- FOS feeds the good bacteria in the gut.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I use to take alot of medications for IBS and have not taken any for over a year now...I do have some levisen I keep on hand but it is probably 7 months old now.....I take Reglan sometims but that is for something other then IBS...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I have had bad experiences with Xanax. It's one of the most addictive substances that ever existed. Withdrawal is worse than heroin according to my doctor.I take Zelnorm (for IBS-C) and Klonopin (for anxiety).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I take dicetel at breakfast and lunch; Bentyl at supper; Xanax or librax as needed. I agree that xanax is very addictive but i also find it the most effective of taking the edge off the pain during an attack. I try to use it as sparingly as possible but i go through phases of using it for a couple of weeks at a time and then onthing for a few months. It depends on the symptoms and if they are interrupting my sleep or not. Careful though, go off it slowly - even after as short of period as one week i find it hard to stop taking it so i gradually taper the dose. The biggest side effect of the withdrawal for me at least, is insomnia.

·
Registered
55 Posts
MY PRESCRIPTION COCKTAIL IS:LOTRONEX 1MG IN THE MOURNINGREMERON 30MG,PERPHENAZINE 2MG AT BED TIMEZOFRAN 4MG,LORAZEPAM .5MG THROUGHOUT THE DAY AS NEEDED.YOU WILL FIND THAT EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN RECEIPE WITH MIXED RESULTS.GOOD LUCK IN FINDING YOUR COMBO.JMC

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
For diarrher I have been able to keep it under control by taking a calcium supplement one with each meal 3 times a day at least 4 to 5 hours apart. Calcium carbonate seems to have a binding effect and by taking several doses every day it helps to maintain a formed BM for me. If you want any more info on it I will send it to you email if you like or you can check out the OTC med section and find many success stories.Take Care,Linda

·
Registered
338 Posts
I take a pill that is a stomach pill for IBS. 99 percent of my D was cured by this pill. I take pepcid, 20mgs, twice daily. It helped the D alot but other symptoms of ibs(bloating, gas, ect..) it does not help.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
JMC - I thought you were not allowed to mix Remeron and Lotronex? That's what my family doctor told me. I would make sure that's ok. Hey, maybe my doctor is wrong - it happens. You can always call Glaxo and check.I'm on Lotronex too. I use to take Remeron. My Lotronex seems to not want to kick in right now. I am still waiting. I already increased my 1/2 pill a day (2 years ago) to 1 pill a day.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I take Prozac 20mg. once daily. It has helped with the C and D episodes, especially spasms. Also take Calcium, Magnesium, Vit. E. The Prozac has been the best helper though. The dietary supplements helps a great deal, but the Prozac is the icing on the cake. I take Prilosec of acid reflux. I just wish I hadn't listened to all the bad things that were said about the SSRI antidepressant for so long that has helped change the quality of my lifestyle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The only daily medication I take these days is Celexa. I tried a ton of other anti-anxiety drugs (Buspar, Zelnorm, etc.) but had really bad side effects from them. Although the Celexa is for anxiety I have found that my anxiety and IBS are inter-related... the more anxious I am the more likely to have an attack, so the Celexa definitely helps and I have NO side effects from it whatsoever.I also have Levsin that I use only in emergencies. It's basically what I use to get home if I'm having an attack at work or something.Also, I keep Tagamet handy, as I've noticed that I get really nauseated and bloated during attacks. The doctor gave me some prescription strength anti-nausea medication, but so far the Tagamet is all I've needed.-- Jared

·
Registered
2 Posts
I take Wellbutrin but that was to stop smoking, has had no effect either way for the IBS. the doc started me off on Librax which is a nice relaxing drug but it made the IBS worse since my IBS is the constipation/bloating/ab pain.. Librax made it even more difficult to have a movement, so I would reccommend that for those with diahhrea. Now Im on valium and Zelnorm. Valium is better than xanax in my opinion. Only been on Zelnorm for about a week, supposed to take it 2x day before meals. With the 1st dose I had major diarrhea but it seems to have tapered off now. I only take it once a day during the week, afraid of what will happen at work. It does seem to help produce Bowel Movements tho, and its slightly relieving the gas issue, but not to my satisfaction, at least not yet. Im going to give it a few more weeks and hope things improve. Hope this helps you or someone else who may read it. Good luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Effexor XR and Miralax don't solve the IBS-C problems completely for me, but they reduce the pain and C so I take them - Effexor XR every day and Miralax about twice a week. Happy New Year to all.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts