Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally, after having a BM, I used to experience cramp-like pain accompanied by very loud swishing noises whenever I puffed my gut in and out. Now, I am fortunate enough to not have to deal with the post-BM pain anymore (possibly thanks to taking Lexapro, an anti-spasmodic), and have figured out what foods have been giving me problems more than others, but for some reason I still occasionally hear that same noise in my gut after BMs. Also, this exact same noise also occurs after sex for some reason. Its extremely embarrassing and I'd really wish I at least knew what it was, because it is beginning to concern me and make me worried that it is linked to my post-BM pain that I used to have. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ever since I've had IBS my gut has made all kinds of weird and rather loud noises. To me it usually sounds like a gurgling liquid, but sometimes it sounds like gas whooshing through. It has been so loud that other people can hear it from across the room sometimes. A couple times I've had to walk out of a theater since it's been so embarrassing. Every doctor I've told about it seems to dismiss it completely. I don't know exactly what causes it. I think maybe it's something we all have but in IBS it's just much more amplified since our guts are more active or something.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Every human has a gut that makes all kinds of noises.Colon noise is a result of it moving stuff around, not any disease or anything deadly.IBSers sometimes don't move things around in there quite like they did when healthy so it makes more noise, but some healthy people have very noisy guts from time to time.The only dangerous noise is complete silence even when they put a stethoscope to your belly. That means a complete obstruction.I know the noises are embarrassing and worrying, but really it is just means the colon is on the job and working. It just does it louder in some people and at some times. It is like your heartbeat. If you want stuff to move (stool, blood) there is going to be some noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.