Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hello all!I just wanted to stop in to let you know what seems to be giving me some relief. I've pretty much tried everything except Lotronex (which was next on my list) for IBS, and nothing really seems to do much to help. I've also have played around with my diet and did a whole month of wheat-free, dairy-free, fructose-free fun. I've used the hypnotherapy CDs three times. I've tried various antidepressants like Paxil, Effexor, Nortryptaline, and Wellbutrin, and now finally Cymbalta, which is the first one to actually seem to do something (been on it for four months now). I used to be in pain all day, and in and out of the bathroom, but I'm not anymore. The only other one that seemed to help with this was Effexor, but I was ravenously hungry when I took that, and gained 15 lbs over the year I took it, which I am still trying to loose. It also wasn't quite as effective stomach-pain wise.Anyway, I still have to take an Immodium in the morning, and when I go it's still not the right color, but I can usually get through a whole work day with no stomach pain and not having to use the bathroom for anything more than #1
That's not to say I'm cured or anything though. I still can get an upset stomach, I use Librax now and then, and I still get super anxious about going out with friends and going on trips. I also am still using "health problems" as an excuse to turn guys down for dates, but I suppose if I met a guy that I was really interested in, hopefully I could just explain it. I'm always wishing I could become friends with the guy first, so then if we started dating I wouldn't have to explain things like I would to a stranger. Of course it never seems to be able to work out that way. This whole ordeal has definitely changed my definition of fun. Before this, I would love going out to concerts, parties, bars and whatnot. Now my idea of fun is a movie at home. Typical dating activities give me anxiety attacks
But yeah, I just wanted to share and let you know that if you're going the antidepressant route, it could take you numerous tries to find the right one for you, but it may be out there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Rockingirl, I am glad the Cymbalta is working for you! May I ask, how long did it take to help with the pain? My doctor had me try it as well, and I took 20 mg (the lowest dose) for 2 weeks and had to stop. It made my gut pain worse, if that was even possible. My doctor wanted me to give it at least a 4 to 6 week try so maybe I gave up too soon. Anyway, good luck to you. It is always nice to hear the success stories. They are what keep me going.
I was on the 20 mg for a month, and it wasn't until towards the end of that month that I felt like it was doing something. I went up to 60 mg the next month, and that's when I really started feeling an improvement. Everyone is different, so maybe Cymbalta just wasn't right for you. When I tried Wellbutrin I felt awful from that. I also forgot to mention in my first post that I had tried four different brands of probiotics, and it seems they always made things worse, not better. I asked my GI doctor about it, and she said that some people just don't do well with them. It's actually very common!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.