Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Yesterday I had a load of stress. High level. Minutes after that I had D, 3 times and it seems that it brough a flare up. My symptoms always change from flare up to flare up so here they are-Nausea-Loss of appetite-Passing Mucus-Small BM a5-10 a day mostly DFor now my biggest concern is the nausea and loss of appetite. I have to take 10 days of antiobiotic starting yesterday and have to eat with it because it can be harsh for the stomach. But I'm nauseous. Food is repulsive to me. Today I ate a yogourt, a cream of brocoli and a few bites of a peach. I'm at work at my desk and feel small cramps and the need to go, but when I get there, there's almost nothing or just mucus. Is this normal? Why would I feel that i have to go if there's almost nothing.What should I do about the nausea and loss of appetite?I'm really worried so any feedback would be great.Also I'm really anxious since yesterday so I'm taking Ativan to avoid getting big panic attacks like I had yesterday. I couldn't sleep at all.Yukie

·
Registered
414 Posts
A couple of times when I have had to take strong antibiotics, they have actually given me diarrhea. My dad also had to take some for a bad tooth absess a couple of weeks ago and he also had the same for a day or so. I think that is quite a common side effect of taking antibiotics. I suffer with diarrhea on and off at the moment but I always have lots of mucus and I frequently have stomach cramps even when I don't have diarrhea. I think that is probably quite normal with ibs. Worrying about something is also enough to give me pains and cramps in my stomach in minutes which seems crazy but true. If you are feeling sick perhaps you should eat small amounts and not anything that would normally annoy your stomach. I think you should try to eat something. One more thing, when I worry or feel very stressed (which I do a lot) it can make me feel a bit sick and if I haven't eaten enough it can as well. If you are meant to be eating something then I would try to. If you are sick perhaps you should see the doctor - perhaps it could be the anti-biotics? Hope you feel better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it's mostly stress. I'm having big panic attacks so I'm scared of being scared etc etc. It's taken me over.
Hi Yukie,Hope that you are doing better now. I am not familiar with your situation and whether you are on on other medications for the Ibs or panic attacks. It might be good to seek some professional help with this. Panic attacks are very treatable with both medications and therapy.That said I have some other suggestions to helping. first you need to alleviate the panic attack. Panic attack clearly worsens the IBS if not causes the IBS. Panic is like a positive feedback loop. Your brain creates a sense of fear loss of control and urgency that stimulates the sympathetic system activates your heart rate and increases blood pressure releasing adrenaline which just increases your panic and sense of loss of control. You need to stop this. You can break this cycle by just laughing out loud. try it. Think of something funny that happened a good joke or just laugh. it will really break the cycle. You also will no longer have the fear of losing control now knowing that you can end the panic. ending the panic alone may not end the IBS but it is a start. You can gain control.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It might be the antibiotic that gives you the D with cramps. I took Klacid recently and it granted me with D from day 1. Take probiotics even during the therapy.P.S. Those peaches you're eating do nothing for your D... I'd also refrain from yogurt until the flare subside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.