Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
waht do you take to stop a bad flare up of D how many? how long to stop it? what kind of med? i have a lot of dental appts that i hahve had to cancel because of D fear of not making it to the toliet at the dental office..soon he will be get disgusted with the cancellations i am getting dentures long process

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually the fastest would be Imodium. If you can predict something will set off the diarrhea (like an appointment or eating a meal) you might want to take it ahead of time (30 minutes or so). That way the drug is in place when you need it and you aren't trying to catch up.It won't make the flare up end any quicker but may help as a stop gap.To break up the flare usually that is more something like an antidepressant and that can take weeks before you know if it gets things to a more even keel.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have had success with propanol recently-used it this week for a one hour dental appt. Previously, the dentist said he couldn't give me local anaesthetic because my heart rate was so fast-just nervous about the IBS -couldn't even think about the fillings!!! He told me to go to the GP and get some valium but I think this works for me just as well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The same with me too, the propranolol really helps the nerves. I also think you should tell the dentist that you have got a problem and then if you have to keep cancelling at least they know why. I have a lovely dentist and he knows all about it and just as I have started to get more realxed about going, I have to change dentists. I'm gutted because he knew that I was often late and that I had a problem. When I have to see my new dentist I shall be telling him all about my diarrhea problem straight away. It took me a long time to confide in him and it instantly took away a load of the stress and worry because he knew that I might have to get up when having something done. I get so many teeth problems that I can't avoid it. I have to take 2 immodiums a few hours before I need to go to an appointment. 3/4 hours ish and when I start peeing a lot I know that they have kicked in. I wouldn't have been able to get out of the house at all over the years without it. Thank god for it. I know a trip to the dentist is a nightmare, without worrying about the teeth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts