Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here and quite worried. For the last 5 years I have had weird bowels. I thought it was from my uterus prolapse and now that has been taken out a year ago my symptoms have got worse! Often in the mornings about half and hour or so after I am up, even without eating or drinking I start the lower crampy/colicky type pain and that feeling of needing to do a number 2. Within what seems like a few minutes I am almost doing it and find myself running to the toilet and it all explodes out of me. My poos are never formed at any time of the day or night. They are always soft like porridge and floaty. It is very messy and almost runny and takes tons of toilet paper to clean up! Normalish colour. I sometimes will have a coffee when out at the shops and need to run within 15-20 minutes nearly filling my duds! It is soooooo embarrassing!!!! I feel almost constant aching like pains down in the left and right side of my abdomen. Very often after an ice-cream I have the urgent and explosive bowel movements and the other day that was followed by going back and with looser and looser motions three times after I'd eaten it. I was in so much pain I thought I had food poisoning. I remember not being able to keep the poo in and it leaking out onto my underwear and turning up at the ER a few years back. The smell is always bad and very frequently it burns as it comes out. I HAVN"T HAD A FORMED POO FOR YEARS and now this seems to have got worse. My symptoms happen every day without let-up.MY dad died on January the 6th this year at the age of 68 after being found with stage 4 bowel cancer and dying within 6 months. He spent my entire childhood farting and sitting on the toilet for long periods of time. I get tummy pains alot as well. I am schedualed at my age (48) on the waiting list for another 18 months for a colonoscopy and in the meantime I have had my doctor suggest it sounds like irritable bowel syndrome. I asked for a blood and fecal test for celiacs which I have yet to do.I wonder if it could be anything else??? Does anyone know what tests I should be asking for and if this sounds like IBS or something else?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Really sounds like IBS, maybe with a bit of bile imbalance (which the doctors usually don't diagnose but if you release a bit more bile than you recycle it can make the stools loose and burn).Mornings when you get up the colon is always most active, and then it has a burst after meals and all this sounds IBS-y to me.You might make sure they do a complete blood count with a sedimentation rate (that will check for inflammation) when they do the blood work for celiac.See if they will give you an antispasmodic you can take when you get up and 30 minutes before a meal (or something time released) and that may help the after meal thing. Some people use Imodium 30 minutes before a meal for the same effect.You might look at LNAPE's (Linda's) Calcium information as that sometimes help with that bile sort of thing.If those don't work you may want to talk to the doctor about a tricyclic antideperssant to help calm the gut down and reduce the inappropriate pain signals.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The only thing worth asking your doctor about IBS is if he/she can validate your parking. Really, they don't have a clue unless it's something obvious and or major like cancer, celiac disease, crohns, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.