Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I did today.I took in the morning one tablespoon of Benefiber.Later today I took another tablespoon of Benefiber.Tonight I had D for the first time in months. While I was having D, I saw a noticable decrease in bloating, but I kept having to go.So, I took two Pepto Bismol capsules.My stomach continued to rumble, asking to D, but I was now able to control and not go running to the bathroom all the time.As the night went on, my urge to go to the bathroom dropped, but my bloating increased.At the moment I feel no need to go the bathroom, in fact, I feel constipated, and I am having heavier bloating, which leads me to wonder, what do I do?I never have d, could this have been caused by Benefiber?I have not been severely constipated, I go to the bathroom a couple times, but until I had d today, I always felt like I was not completly clearing out myself.I have been taking Citrcuell.This leads to wonder if my bloating is related to being constipated or not completly cleared out, and that the Benefiber if it gave me d, cleared me out, causing the bloating to go down.Does it appear that the bloating is related to being constpated, and if this is going on, what treatment would be the best?Should I continue to take Citrucell, or since Benefiber could have cleared me out, should I take this, and bear with the d for a couple days.Will the d go away, or am I stuck with being bloated or d, as my issue?Basically, what is going on, and what should I do?The doctor last weke told me to go to a stress reduction class, that it appears food, constipation, d, and physical issues were not the cause of my bloating, but in fairness I was not aware of the contispation, d, and bloating signs. I think I will take some d if it gets rid of bloating as an swap. Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It seems you've posted this story in 2 places. I responded in the other place. If you find that D clears out your system and the bloating is gone, then I'd keep experimenting with that. As noted in my response elsewhere, I have a friend who intentionally invokes D every morning to clear out his system, which resolves bloating and flatulence for 1 more day. He uses chocolate milk and coffee, since he is lactose intolerant and it gets his guts rumbling very quickly. But his system clears out ONCE, and then is calm for the rest of the day. If you want to establish such a life style, you'd have to experiment to find a way to clear out your system efficiently without having to run to the toilet every 10 minutes. I just don't want to see you popping Immodium one minute, then something to purge your system the next moment - you'd end up like Elvis Presley (he was a famous rock and roll singer in the 50's) who got to such a gloated fat spaced state of life that he needed a pill to wake up, another to fall asleep, another to go poo, and another to stop going poo. If you are really really really into getting rid of the bloating and find that clearing out the system does so, perhaps you can find a clinic nearby that does colonic irrigation, and do that every few days. Sorry, young man, but you are going to have to experiment.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me get some clarification.If taking Benefiber powder causes D, which clears out my system, subsequently decreasing bloating; then if I take Benefiber powder should this continue to decrease bloating?Will the D be ongoing, or is this going to be a couple of days where my system clears out, afetr which, the D will stop, and the Benefiber will keep things running smoothly without bloating?In other words, is the D a short term issue which will end as soon as my system is cleared out?Further, after eading what I have observed, do you feel my bloating is not a stress issue, but rather, a physical constipation issue, and if so, do I need to do anything such as stress reduction classes, or will Benefiber Powder do? Thanks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand this, however, if any of you can speak from your own and others experiences with Benefiber Powder, bloating, constipation, and D, that would be just as helpful so I know what to anticipate and how to deal with this.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Fibre should be gradually added to your diet, whether natural or through supplements over a couple of weeks. Taking two full doses of Benefibre starting out could very well have been the cause of your D.Try starting with 1/8 or a 1/4 dose and gradually work up to a full dose. It can take a few weeks before your body adjusts to the added fibre. Also make sure you drink plenty of water.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Observations from today; I have taken four tablespoons of Benefiber powder.The bloating has been better than normal, I feel as if the high tide has been lifted from my gut, the bloating is not gone, but it has receeded so that I can actually suck in and feel my stomach for once.I have not had d, but I have felt more rumbiling and activity.I wanted to know what your thoughts are in terms of what you think might be the cause of my bloating, if this is a physical issue, a stress issue, if I need stress reduction classes, and if this indicates a better medication might work even more so.How come I did not have D today, is my body adjusting?I worry if yes that the Benefiber could wear off and subsequently, so would it's improvements. If Benefiber powder is clearing out my stomach, does this indicate my problem was physical, and are there any other drugs or prescriptions which might be well suited; also why would Benefiber be more effective than Citrcuell was.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Volatile,Maybe you should go to a psychic or medical intuitive. I am only being slightly facetious. I am not sure how any of us could direct you on such intimate areas of your own body and mind. I know it is scary and frustrating but some questions you can only answer for yourself via trial and error. I do not see how I or anyone on a forum can tell if your bloating is an emotional or purely physical situation. You need to have the input of people who know you. Can you discuss any of this with a member of your own family, for example? Sure, they may not know anything about IBS, but they know YOU and that way you wouldn't feel so alone with this. People who know you could certainly tell if you are highly stressed, and that certainly is a strong trigger in much IBS. What you need is a girl friend or boy friend (whatever...). Maybe you can find one who also has bloat so you can have long discussions about it over candle light dinners. (Sorry, couldn't resist a little teasing).One Note: Yes, your body will adjust to any fiber supplement with time. If your goal is to have D every day (since you theorize it will stop bloating), then you need to find something that routinely gives you the runs. No, don't ask us what that would be!! There must be something you know doesn't agree with you. FOr me it would be a double Expresso with cheesecake.As far as supplements go, each person reacts differently to them. Again, it is trial and error. The ingredients are different so the body reacts differently. For example, Metamucil contains psyllium, Citrucel contains methlcellulose, and Fibercon contains calcium polycarbophil. I don't know what is in Benefiber. Check the jar or box yourself.Oh, by the way, ONLY AS A TEST, if you really want to confirm if bloating is a physical situation, perhaps you can buy an enema from the drug store and use it. Such things are habit forming, so do NOT get the idea of just giving yourself an enema every day (I know someone who did this and his intestines got so lazy he was addicted to enemas). But if the bloating goes away every time you clear out, then although it may be an IBS symptom, you can help clear yourself, e.g., before a hot date, that way. Now I would give this advice a C, since I don't think doing an enema is good for the body. YOu squeeze a bottle of liquid up into your large intestine and it begins to rumble and tumble, and you wait until you feel you will burst. This is a routine procedure before some medical procedures. There are drinks that do the same thing but they are prescription only. Now I am saying bye, bye, because I think the best I can do for you is to just include you in my prayer list. This constant giving of advice is tiring me out. I think on all the advice I've given over time to just you, I could print out a booklet about the size of the driving manual at the Department of Motor Vehicles!P.S. I just did a websearch - took about 5 seconds to find out that Benefiber is soluble dietary fiber extracted from the seed of the cluster bean, whatever that is!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Cluster beans are also known as guar. Big in SE Asia. Benefiber uses guar gum...it's a hydrophilic laxative. It's not like the other fibers on the market. It will cause diarrhea for many people no matter how long they take it.Which is a bummer, since its the easiest to take!!But if I ever became constipated, it's the way I'd go for sure...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not know they sold enema's.What brand are they sold as?I was going to ask if there was something I could take to clear out my system, also, is there any foods or diet I should be eating which will help clear me out?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Volatile,My boy, at this juncture in your life, you are on your own. I also suggest a casual walk through of local drug stores and you should find what you seek. Perhaps Paris Hilton has a celebrity brand available, since she and her ilke put out a lot of bs. If all else fails, buy a large can of Hersey's chocolate syrup, the kind grandma used to pour over vanilla icecream. Then drink the entire thing. I am sure this will cause results. However, if you have a few moments, I agree that you should just do some research on your own. How about eating a pound of raddishes? How about eating 5 Big Macs? Use some imagination! Next you'll be asking us what color toilet paper to use.I am leaving you in the loving hands of other posters on this forum. I have to move on now since (duh) I have my own problems and life to deal with. Bless you on your journey. My intuition tells me that this bloating is just a passing challenge in your life and you will eventually leave it behind you. Hey, it could even direct the course of your life, as you ponder your major, maybe something in the medical field will seem pertinent. Bye, y'all. This hot blonde blue eyed aging surfer boy is taking a holiday in San Francisco (Castro Street) and Los Angeles (West Hollywood) starting Friday.

·
Registered
238 Posts
quote:Originally posted by volatile:Thanks. Is there any wrong time to have Benefiber, I take it before breakfast, again in the morning, in the afternoon, at dinner, and right at bed.
I would NOT take it:1. while riding an escalator or elevator2. while skiing down a mountain in Boulder, Colorado3. while driving a car during rush hour on the San Diego Freeway4. while making love (either alone or with someone else)5. while kneeling at the altar for Holy Communion6. just before a 20 mile hike to raise money for research for people with IBS. I've heard that the best time to take it is on the 6th hour of the 6th day of the 6th month. 666!!! Magical occult powers arise from the powder when taken at this time. Have a good weekend. (Note: Most medications tell you on the label how to take the medication, e.g,, on a full or empty stomach, with meals, or not while bungie jumping, etc.).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.