Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've noticed lately that the Imodium has begun to lose some of its potency. Before I only needed to take 2mg per day and I would only have one bowel movement, now I need 6-8mg. I will still usually only have 1 bowel movement, but occasionally I will have 2. Without the Imodium I usually have 3-5 bowel movements per day. I asked my gastro doctor if he could provide me with Lomotil so I can alternate to that when the Imodium begins to lose its potency and then return to the Imodium when I begin getting used to the Lomotil. However, he says my IBS case is not severe enough to warrant Lomotil and he is refusing to prescribe it (my 3-5 bowel movements are rarely water or super loose....usually number 5 on the Bristol chart).

What should I do? It is not possible for me to stop the Imodium because the constant pooping makes me unable to function at my job (my job involves being on a boat all day). Are there any other over the counter anti-motility agents? I know my problem is motility related because Imodium is the only thing that has actually helped. None of the anti-spasmodics have worked and Pepto does nothing since I do not have pain.

·
Registered
243 Posts
In my experience, Imodium doesn't lose it's effectiveness over time. However IBS does wax and wane, responding to different triggers. I've always found that if I think Imodium isn't working, when I go back to a very bland diet, it's back to full effect.

Also, I've always found Imodium to be FAR superior to Lomotil, Viberzi, and essentially every other anti-diarrheal drug on the market.

If your doctor isn't open to exploring options, I would look for another doctor. In the meantime, I'd go on a very bland diet (white rice, chicken, fish, oatmeal etc) and see if that gives you some relief. I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but if Imodium isn't cutting it, I think there's something else going on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
As Dekkalife said:

"If your doctor isn't open to exploring options, I would look for another doctor."

Absolutely, positively correct. When I was a child, my father (an MD) warned me of this doctor syndrome where they think they know everything, but they really don't. God bless my Dad; that advice has help me throughout my life especially in the world of IBS (I'm now 64...he is 94. no longer practicing, of course). CHANGE DOCTORS! Like everyone on this board, I have tried many things (all the way up to opium, which didn't work...I have a very understanding primary care doctor). Together, we've currently found a "cocktail" that seems to work. And it involves Lomotil. When Motofen was taken off of the market, I scrambled to find a replacement. Immodium worked for awhile, but then didn't. But (hold on to your seats), I now take 15 lomotil a day. Been doing that for 8 years now. No side effects and my bowels are pretty much under control and normal (with a small .25mg touch of Valium per day to calm my anxiety). Many Doctors are arrogant narcissists (seriously). But I know that when/if my current "cocktail" stops working, my primary care doctor will explore with me other ways of getting my life back. I give him full credit (and my Dad) for being able to hold a very stressful job in advertising for over 30 years, raising a family and going on many wonderful vacations. Never could have done that if I hadn't found ways to control my bowels. And believe me, I've tried all the meds, and relaxation therapy, and diet, and supplements (like calcium) - we all have to find our own solutions as we are all different. That's another reason I like Dekkalife's answer: it included the work "exploring." It's a lifetime of exploring. Thank you, Dad!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think poster before was spot on, I started taking immodium 3 months back I was avoiding it trying to naturally recover but after a setback I just went in 1mg a day which is half a pill. Was a life saver I actually started feeling normal again, except for the gas, but life was back. I had a few times where I needed more but thats when my ibs was probably acting up and I would probably have been much worse without it.

You may be having ibs ebs, but Imodium is an opiod for the stomach and if it works like any other opiod you become accustomed to it. Maybe trying to go off of it for a month and try again, if you have another drug you can use like pepto you can alternate the two month by month to make sure you dont develop a tolerance? Just my non doctor opinion

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appear to have developed IBS-D, and it has become important to be very aware of where each and every bathroom in my travels can be. Had one very embarrassing episode, while I was walking along a very public sea wall. Lucky for me, I was able to hop into the ocean and wash off. A horrifying experience.

At any rate I have seen the doctor and have been prescribed Entocort, a Colitis medication (which I have not started to take yet). I have just taken a SIBO test, but do not have the results back yet.

I have been self medicating with Imodium, but have been trying to just use it when I want to leave the house. I am very concerned that I could become used to Imodium, and it would not work anymore.

Does anyone have experience with Imodium, does it lose its ability to help after awhile?

·
Registered
555 Posts
There are a lot of threads about this if you search the forum but the short story is that some people feel like it does and some dont. Only way for you to know is to try it. Dont use it more than you have to, but it is an important tool for us IBS-ders to control our diarrhea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First, you should change your doctor, since the current one doesn't help you much. It would help if you had gone to a private clinic, and you would have been given a potent drug that stopped your ailments. I have a similar job as you, and I have to be at sea all the time, just like you. I work as a waiter on a ship. Of course, we have doctors there, but I prefer to call my doctor using hipaa compliant video conferencing. We've known each other for a long time. By the way, I found him in a private clinic. So, don't be afraid to give large amounts of money for treatment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts