Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving for a one week vacation on Sunday. It's about a two hour drive. Most people would be happy but this is causing me anxiety. The family likes to eat at a popular pancake place for breakfast. Any suggestions for an IBS-d type. Dare I try the small portion of buttermilk pancakes? Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Pancakes are iffy for me. I think it depends on the amount of pancakes I get. One restaurant makes them big, like 12 inches in diameter, and those bothered me once. But I've had smaller portions in other restaurants without a problem. If you do try them, be sure to order them without butter. Melted butter can slap on another 15-30 grams of fat which can bother a lot of IBSers. You can also take immodium that morning to help prevent any problems. If you don't feel up to it, order something gentle like a hardboiled egg and dry toast. That's always one of my standbys... since it's not cooked on a greasy grill I don't have a problem with it.Another thing that helps me is to not go to a restaurant hungry. Have a banana or oatmeal or something before you leave the house or before you get to the restaurant, then order a small order of pancakes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I second Mannie.. some whole wheat toast and a simple egg are never a problem for me (even a bit of bacon every now and then)My other suggestion would be to have french toast (with syrup on the side so you can control it) Since it is just eggs and bread, and a little milk, it's pretty easy on the stomach. Try to get whole wheat bread...

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm "D" type and I can usually handle the pancakes with no problem,I get the silver dollar ones,and only eat about 3.No butter and I use very little syrup,and a link of sausage and I have no problems,its the eggs that do me in.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My rule of thumb is that I don't try anything new on a trip -- only those foods that I've been able to tolerate in the past.If you have a question about pancakes, or eggs, or a certain kind of toast, experiment at home. And, be careful about experimenting immediately before a trip. A lot of us IBS - D types, once we get our gut going, have a hard time stopping it.So, eat only what you know, from past experience, you can get away with.[This message has been edited by echris (edited 06-21-2001).]

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a real problem when traveling and eating while on the road. I will usually not eat until we've reached our destination, then I don't have the anxiety of worrying as to wheather I will need to go. (Some trips I've taken have been 6 to 8 hours of driving.) I am just more comfortable with it.I have IBS 'D'.Hang in and have funDonna --- '-)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all your suggestions. I usually eat light several hours before a trip and I am starving by the time I get to my destination. We have a cooler in our car and everyone has sandwiches and sodas along the way and I usually watch wishing I could too. However, I believe its better to be safe than sorry. Once again thanks and I'II let you know how it went in about a week.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Do you have any "safe" foods you could bring in the car? For me, it's unsweetened applesauce, bananas, saltine crackers, hardboiled egg whites, and Rice Krispie bars. Baby food could even be an alternative. You could even cook a plain skinless boneless chicken breast, shred it, and keep it in the cooler to put on crackers or plain bread. I know not eating works for some people, but for me it's a sure trigger. Not only will it set of my acid reflux, but eating anything on a very empty stomach guarantees D for me! And most importantly, have fun!! I travel a lot... I live 1500 miles from my family and my hubby doesn't like to fly, so we make the trip at least twice a year. So I know how you feel. It's always a concern.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Breakfast on the road is tough. Don't feel bad if you choose not to eat anything. You can eat like a hog when you get where you're going and you're near a bathroom. I don't like to gamble. I like to bring along a rice cake or some nuts for the car ride.Sharon

·
Registered
97 Posts
HEy, I am also leaving on Sunday for vacation and its a two hour car ride and I'm scared to death. The big thing is that Im not even the one driving. Imagine having to tell your boyfriends parents to pull over!Try rice cakes and peanut butter that usually works for me. I could never eat french toast of pancakes in the morning.Just try not to worry about it and make sure you eat! I should take my own advice! I know it seems better not to eat but if you eat light safe foods all day and maybe some dry cereal in the car, then you will feel better when you acually do eat a meal. Just remember that no one can tell you what will def make you feel ok you have to figure that out yourself. Its not even food for me! Just try to have fun and not let it run your life! Good Luck! xoxo liz

·
Registered
97 Posts
HEy, I am also leaving on Sunday for vacation and its a two hour car ride and I'm scared to death. The big thing is that Im not even the one driving. Imagine having to tell your boyfriends parents to pull over!Try rice cakes and peanut butter that usually works for me. I could never eat french toast of pancakes in the morning.Just try not to worry about it and make sure you eat! I should take my own advice! I know it seems better not to eat but if you eat light safe foods all day and maybe some dry cereal in the car, then you will feel better when you acually do eat a meal. Just remember that no one can tell you what will def make you feel ok you have to figure that out yourself. Its not even food for me! Just try to have fun and not let it run your life! Good Luck! xoxo liz

·
Registered
611 Posts
BDA: I have a TON of dietary restrictions, so I usually pack all my own food, prepped ahead of time, and eat that. Even at a restaurant, if they don't have anything I can eat!! If I'm with other people who are paying customers, I might at least order some tea, and I am not bothered by the staff. (And if they don't have chamomile or peppermint, I buy the tea--or ask for hot water if they seem accommodating-- and store away their tea bag and use my own that I've brought.) For a list of what I prep, see Shambler's post "Any advice for a 3 day trip out of country - diet?".Good luck! Regards, Lilymaid

·
Registered
611 Posts
BDA: I have a TON of dietary restrictions, so I usually pack all my own food, prepped ahead of time, and eat that. Even at a restaurant, if they don't have anything I can eat!! If I'm with other people who are paying customers, I might at least order some tea, and I am not bothered by the staff. (And if they don't have chamomile or peppermint, I buy the tea--or ask for hot water if they seem accommodating-- and store away their tea bag and use my own that I've brought.) For a list of what I prep, see Shambler's post "Any advice for a 3 day trip out of country - diet?".Good luck! Regards, Lilymaid

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.