Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a feeling I will regret asking this but here goes. Having cancelled my first colonoscopy I have now been to the doctor to arrange one again (I will not break this one) Ok folks would like to know coping strategies for when you take these powder things that make you empty!!! (oh I knew I would regret asking this) I think I am more worried about this side of things than the procedure? Should I start bulking up with food as I heard the 'runs' are that bad that you lose weight? How long after the camera thing do you start to recover? Do they tell you straight away if they find anything in there (Lord Lucan, Shergar etc) By the way I am in UK so appreciate anyone here who has been through it who could give advice.Yours excitedly (not)Glenn

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's my experience. I pulled no punches and told it like it was. It is a bit long. The short version is keep your rear well lubricated and protected. Get baby wipes and don't rub, pat. Drink as much as you can until your cutoff time, even after the prep is finished. You'll be dehydrated somewhat if you don't by the time your scope is to be done.http://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f...261/m/489106982

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just had the colonoscopy and endoscopy last Friday. Don't sweat it, it is nothing and totally worth it to find answers! Take the fleet soda "laxative" with something that has a strong taste, plug your nose and get it down. In between treatments, drink 64 oz. of clear liquid and stop drinking an hour before your check in! I am only 120 lbs and I did fine with it. You don't remember anything and don't feel anything. Really don't sweat it, its NOT surgery or anything
You DO find out if there is anything right after, its nice! Stay close to a bathroom, drink and eat right when your done! BEST OF LUCK!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glenn,Please don't worry about the colonoscopy. It really is very mild. With the drugs they give you, you will be in a nice sleep. I have had 3 colonoscopies over the last 2.5 years, and I don't remember anything except waking up at home a few hours later.The prep isn't the most fun, but I agree ManualShift, use a lot of A&D ointment on your rectum before you feel the urge to evacuate the prep. That helps a ton in keeping down the irritation.Best of luck!Rich

·
Registered
613 Posts
I know its bad but its not that bad... Drinking the stuff isn't the most pleasant experience but its one day, and if you have ibsd then its basically a normal day! HAHA. When i did the prep i only had about 2 or 3 10 minute sessions on the toilet. You will be right, its different for everyone, just have to experience these things for ourselves unfortunately!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.