Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what tools you use to help with controlling anxiety???I have tried yoga and exericise and that helps but I need more....dont know what else to do to help myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Beach,The age old question isn't it? I can tell you what I do and I hope it helps. Kava, in a liquid capsule from works like a charm for everyday anxiety. If that isn't strong enough, for say a bus trip, I have taken an anti anxiety drug which is usualy perscribed for panic attacks. Both make you sleepy but phamasutical is a little like a hand pushing your head down while someone shouts, "YOU WILL SLEEP NOW!!" But it gets you through. Yoga is good and exercise, but I know were you are coming from. I try meditation and have recently started to study Buddhism. Both are good for trying to be calm and foucused. But, we all need a little Kava now and then.Be seeing you.Zouave

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Mike's tapes were helpful to me. Tranquilizers helped for a short time, but then became addictive. Not a long term solution.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My doctor put me on a low dosage of Xanax for anxiety. It is .25 mg per tablet. I have cut it down to only two a day, one in the morning and one before lunch (when I have my worst time). Sometimes if I am especially stressed I will take 1/2 of a tablet before an event. I worry about addiction but he says since I have cut it down myself I need not worry about that. Sometimes I even forget to take it. It has done wonders for me. I also try to exercise on the treadmill. The exercise helps a lot and I can tell the difference when I don't do it. I wouldn't go back to the way I was before the meds for anything. When I mention taking the medicine or trying to stop it he always says I am doing so well and , "If it "ain't broke,,,don't fix it!"

·
Registered
11 Posts
I received a presciption for Clonazapem (sp?) in it's lowest dosage and take only half of that. It kicks in within 5 minutes and does not make you drowsy or out of it. I have found that it even helps with some stomache cramping. You do not need to take these everyday, just when you feel like you are going to have an anxiety/panic attack. Work great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree about the cats! I have three now, one new this week
I also take seroxat/paroxetine 20mg (i think its the same as paxil in the US) and i'm taking that for 3 years now, it does help against the anxiety/panic attacks for me, but it doens't work miricals. Focussing on you hobbies and keep yourself busy can also help.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Careful with the Xanax. I took it for 6 years and then my doc cut me off. Thank god he gave me Serzone. This stuff has been a godsend to me. If you ever have to give up the Xanax. give it a try, its really much better and won't give you that "dead" feeling.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've tried a lot of different things, but it seems I'm like many of the others that have posted here. I have to take medication. Of course I'm under the care of a doctor and she has established that I have an anxiety disorder, so the medication is an okay route for me. I don't worry so much about addiction because I have a real problem that it's addressing. I take Xanax on an as needed basis and there are days when I don't even take any at all, so I don't think I need to worry overmuch about becoming an addict. I have also found that the SSRI anti-depressants are pretty good at controlling anxiety. I tried Paxil and thought it was a wonder drug until the sexual side effects kicked in. But it really kicked my social anxiety and at the time the IBS-D was really doing a number on it. Now I'm on a low dose of Celexa and I'm hoping to see good results with that. Talk to your doctor. He/she might be able to recommend a med. Or maybe you could try the hypno tapes. Some really swear by them.Outside of medication, two things have always helped me to relax - music and a good book. Couldn't live without them!

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
BEACH BUNNY:This CD set for IBS stress and anxiety managment is used as part of our integrated Disease Management Program www.ibstherapy.comIt was developed by a GI doc and clinical psychologist who are on the faculty of Washington University and practice at barnes-Jewish medical Center in St. Louis. We have received positive feedback from the patients and doctors who have used it as a stress reduction adjunct.The cost is modest as well.MNL

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use Paxil every day (10 mg), a journal to help me focus when the anxiety is really bad, regular visits with my therapist, yoga and a better diet (thanks Mike NL and LEAP)as a preventative and of course, feline relaxation therapy every morning and night (snuggles with Bustaphur and Kitty work every time). And, on those occasions where my primary feline relaxation practitioners are mad because they didn't get their favorite treat, I volunteer at an animal shelter with babies that are willing to take whatever attention they can get (even if I'm trimming their nails).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.