Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

What type of BM?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jmc09 
#1 ·
My BM's are either like small stones or long and very,very thin is this typical of IBS BM's?

#3 ·
Every possible weird looking stool or stool consistency is normal for IBS. From just a little off of normal to either extreme. About the only thing you don't see in IBS is large amounts of watery diarrhea. You can get that, but that is more common in other things. Having the stool vary from BM to BM (alternating) happens to a lot of IBSers.

#4 ·
Why the lack of bulk in IBS BMs even if eating a well balanced diet?Sorry for the silly questions but this is the only place I've had any of my symptoms and medicines explained to me.Even most doctors seem flummoxed when I try to explain my problems.I'm more likely to find an appropriate treatment from fellow sufferers than any medical professionals!

#5 ·
Stool volume is a factor of fiber, bacteria in the colon and water.Storage time also can effect things, as does speed through the GI tract.If the rectum is hypersensitive and you don't ever store stool for any length of time at the end it will be lower volume than if you have more normal evacuation (so if you go 3-5 times a day with normal stool consistency rather than loose they will be small in volume as your rectum won't wait until you have a normal volume accumulate before sending it out.If you tend on the constipated end of things you can have low volume because all the water is sucked out of it. Think of a bowl of jello. If you leave it out and uncovered and let the water evaporate it eventually takes up a lot less space.I don't know how much fiber you eat, but even a well-balanced diet may not have all that much fiber in it depending on what you choose and how much fiber you tolerate. If you tend to the too fast end of things besides not having as much storage time at the end, it may not get as compressed along the way so be a low volume.Low volume stools are not a specific symptom of any disease but will be seen in everything that causes constipation or diarrhea.

#6 ·
Thanks Kathleen that makes a lot of sense.If I can keep food in my system as long as possible it generally does come out as pretty close to normal so what you say seems to apply to myself in most cases.It's just a case of preventing the food passing through the digestive system slower,easier said than done.Have also found that eating little and often works quite well for me too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.