Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to this particular board.Anyway, I just wanted to share what has helped me a whole lot with my IBS-C.I had: Bloating when I ate any amount or food, pain, cramping, trapped gas feeling, spasms, constipation, excess gas, the whole nine yards.Well, I had also gained about 20 pounds over a period of a couple years, and wanted to lose it. I ended up doing a low carb diet, though not Atkin's persay. I kept and continue to keep my carbs below 20 grams per day, and of course I count calories.Well anyway..I realized there were some amazing effects the moment I dropped carbs from my diet. I had NO MORE bloating! no pain! I could eat a full meal and feel perfectly comfortable in my pants. Nothing hurt. I wasn't cramping. No gas!How much of a miracle is it to have no gas in itself, right? I was thrilled!So, I've kept it up, and have dropped all the weight through dieting..both low carb and the method I was using prior to that, and I feel SO much better.I just keep it under 20 grams a day.Obviously, this means absolutely no bread, pasta, sugar, potatoes, etc, but going into Ketosis also means your appetite is all but killed, and I found after just a week, I didn't really even crave or want those things anymore.Feeling so much better...I'm not going back. This isn't a diet, but a change I've made, and I just wanted to share the massive relief I've achieved where nothing else helped at all.I've been on all the stomach drugs and lived on Gas X and laxatives and all else without any real relief.Low carb diets can cause/worsen constipation so they suggest taking magnesium supplements to combat that.I do, and have not once felt the need for an actual laxative since.I drink a lot of water and pop my magnesium and life is good.I no longer have to keep all those pills in my purse when I go out.I no longer feel stuffed into my pants right after I eat..or at any time period.Despite taking in a lot of salt through my sunflower seeds, smoked meas and nuts..I am NOT bloated. No more water retention or puffy fingers.I'm freeeeeee!And as you can tell, I'm excited to have found something that actually solved my problem.I wish you all a lot of luck in finding relief for your pain, and if you're considering low carb, I strongly encourage it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Rachel. So did you develop your own low carb diet? I have tried low carb diets, like the south beach, and my blood sugar did not stabilize. I ended up shaky, bad headache, and weak. It did not level out. Is there a way to ease into a low carb eating plan without blood sugar plunging? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is helpful.What is a typical days food plan look like?I am curious to learn more about what you eat.Do you count vegetables for the 20g carbs?
Hey all, I'm new to this particular board.Anyway, I just wanted to share what has helped me a whole lot with my IBS-C.I had: Bloating when I ate any amount or food, pain, cramping, trapped gas feeling, spasms, constipation, excess gas, the whole nine yards.Well, I had also gained about 20 pounds over a period of a couple years, and wanted to lose it. I ended up doing a low carb diet, though not Atkin's persay. I kept and continue to keep my carbs below 20 grams per day, and of course I count calories.Well anyway..I realized there were some amazing effects the moment I dropped carbs from my diet. I had NO MORE bloating! no pain! I could eat a full meal and feel perfectly comfortable in my pants. Nothing hurt. I wasn't cramping. No gas!How much of a miracle is it to have no gas in itself, right? I was thrilled!So, I've kept it up, and have dropped all the weight through dieting..both low carb and the method I was using prior to that, and I feel SO much better.I just keep it under 20 grams a day.Obviously, this means absolutely no bread, pasta, sugar, potatoes, etc, but going into Ketosis also means your appetite is all but killed, and I found after just a week, I didn't really even crave or want those things anymore.Feeling so much better...I'm not going back. This isn't a diet, but a change I've made, and I just wanted to share the massive relief I've achieved where nothing else helped at all.I've been on all the stomach drugs and lived on Gas X and laxatives and all else without any real relief.Low carb diets can cause/worsen constipation so they suggest taking magnesium supplements to combat that.I do, and have not once felt the need for an actual laxative since.I drink a lot of water and pop my magnesium and life is good.I no longer have to keep all those pills in my purse when I go out.I no longer feel stuffed into my pants right after I eat..or at any time period.Despite taking in a lot of salt through my sunflower seeds, smoked meas and nuts..I am NOT bloated. No more water retention or puffy fingers.I'm freeeeeee!And as you can tell, I'm excited to have found something that actually solved my problem.I wish you all a lot of luck in finding relief for your pain, and if you're considering low carb, I strongly encourage it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've also notices that breads and starches tend to bloat me a lot- like where I look like I'm pregnant. The problem: I'm a vegetarian. Not only that, but constantly being in a state of ketosis is not good for your body because it stresses the liver and causes destruction of muscle tissues. :^(

·
Registered
7 Posts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.