Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have painful cramping movements 3 or 4 times a day for 3 or 4 days each week and this went on for years. I lived in fear of restroom visits... I remember pounding my head against the restroom wall in mysery. I started to fear eating knowing that what went in had to come out... people complimented me on my weight loss. I was suicidal.The first thing that helped marginally was diet changes... got rid of red meat, reduced fats and sugar and added metamucil. I still had a lot of movements but they were a little more comfortable.Then I developed bad disabling heartburn and coughed up blood and was diagnosed with reflux. I added the purple pill then (because of price moved to prilosec)... the result was the end of the cramping. Even though I had a lot of movements they were comfortable and I could live with that.As my life no longer revolved around IBS I was able to have relationships and got married and had kids. I became a lot happier and this I think improved things so that my digestion was almost normalized.The latest imrovement was my own invention... I learned that the digestive system motility speeds up when you eat so instead of grazing all day long I returned to my pre-IBS habit of having real meals and no snacks inbetween... Finally I feel my digestion is normal...Except when stressed...if I have to go to the dentist or fly or have an interview I still have problems... but its manageable.... and I only have to do that six or seven times a year.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice Story Andy, do you still take any meds...? I agree with your principles in resolving this syndrome, I have followed many of the same paths, and I amazed at how different but yet in so many ways IBS is similarly expressed...Thanks for the post....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts