Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As has often been said on this excellent forum,Ive learned more here than any doctor has ever taught me,we are all different with our IBS and therefore different things are effective to help us manage or cure our IBS.I would like to ask everybody out there,what has worked or works for you in dealing with your IBS?I've had only 2 effective medications,Sulfasalazine and popping Imodium like smarties/jellybeans.The Sulfasalazine helped me lead close to a normal life for about 12 years then stopped working and the Imodium just simply stops excessive BMs and artificially constipates me occasionally but doesn't do anything for gas or pain/spasms.Please contribute to this as we may help each other out by posting our experiences.John

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kathleen,my original idea was to ask for a poll on what worked for people but I also wanted to know what didn't work too so I was asking for a more objective post rather than somebody saying 'I'm cured' as I also want to hear what treatments are ineffective too.But is there any chance of a poll asking what worked then? In brief of course so if a diet worked you might say 'probiotic diet' or 'low carb diet' instead.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Don't know how to set up a poll but... truly...I am not sure how valuable that would be anyway ... as we are all different. What works for one may not work for another or may make another worse or make no difference in their symptoms.Of course for General info on Treatment Options see the "Treatments" tab in the white menu bar near the top of the page.Most things are done via trial & error. There is no "most post infectious IBS persons find "x" works the best for them" OR "60% of those with IBS C find "x" helps them"... Just doesn't exist yet. So don't know what a poll would do to help you. As I said what worked for one may not work for you. What didn't work for someone else MAY indeed work for you. So the only way to find out if a treatment will help you is to ... try it.All the best

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The problem with a tell me your stories post, from the many time people have tried it, seems to me you only catch the few people at that point in time who happen to be willing to once again repeat themselves. Or you just catch whatever the lastest fad on the board is. I mean no one talks about Ezekiel bread anymore and for awhile it seemed every other person with constipation was saying it was the bestest thing ever.Now you want an actual people can vote poll that can be set up, but you want a good cross section of what worked (and what didn't work as we have a didn't work section) the Stories section where people are invited to post their story and you have several years of that. Just asking people to post doesn't help a lot with getting numbers as who wants to spend the time to count it all up. Not sure what poll options are set on the board but http://www.surveymonkey.com/ allows you to build a survey and will count all the data for you and may get you more of the answers you are looking for if you want to set it up.And even if you have a good list of 5% of IBSers find X work and 10% find this and 3% find that and how many people have to do several things it won't tell you what will work for you. I know the story section pretty much has everything that ever worked for people and I do wish more people would take advantage of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts