Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently found out that IBS-C is contagious, as I have no given it to another person. So be careful. Guilt sucks.I want to share what has worked for me, because I've tried too many dietary supplements, books and diets, and alot of them were BS, and some of them increased my suffering severalfold. When things were their worse for me, I had to use a senna product (exlax) with a magnessium citrate drink. That's the ONLY thing that would work. When you are at your worse, fiber doesn't help, it hurts, because if nothing's getting through, there's going to be some trapped gas and I don't care how tough you are, that's no joke. After two visits to my doctor, he was still suggesting I try the fiber a little longer. That bastard.Having IBS-C also makes you really hungry, but really full at the same time. If you continue to eat, it will make things worse, and you will be in more pain. The only way to lessen this problem I've found is watery soups, and sugary drinks (kool aid, coke). The have a very low residue, and you can get plenty of calories that way, so you don't get light headed and pass out from lack of energy.Ennemas, suppositories, and stool softeners work to an extent, but not like the Senna and Magnessium Citrate.I've heard castor oil works visciously well, but I never could get around the idea of actually drinking oil to try it. The good news I've read is most people with IBS-C usually have less and less symptoms as time goes on. This has been my experience too. It was absolutely hell for the first few months, but as the years go on, you get less and less sick when ever you get it again.For about a year I relied on what I felt was more safe and natural than laxatives. I would drink two liters of water in under 30 minutes. This forces water through the bowels, kind of like a top down enema. It's extremly uncomfotable for an hour, but by the next day, I always had results.Now, I'm currently drinking a tabelspoon of metamucil a day, and I've had no problems at all for as long as I can remember. Until I learned my girlfriend had caught IBS-c.I went back to the doctor. Insurance wouldn't pay for zelnorm for men with IBS, but they would pay for it if you suffer from chronic constipation. I explained this to the doctor (the third one I've had since I got sick a few years back), as she was more than happy to re-write the perscription for chronic constipation.I've been taking it for two days now, and I'm happy with it so far.

·
Registered
624 Posts
IBS of any type is categorically NOT contagious. It's so common that some coincidences are bound to happen, but you can't transfer it to other people through physical contact or any other kind of contact - it's just not that kind of disorder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that's what everyone says. And I wish it was that way. But I've had two girlfriends who have developed this disease not long after we got well aquainted.It's possible thats just a coincidence, but not very likely, IMHO.I'm thinking perhaps IBS-C is much more different in this regard than IBS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I have. I've improved alot since I first got it.The fiber is useful, it's preventative medicine for times when things are moving more like normal. If you're having an IBS-C attack though, and you're not used to having extra fiber in your diet, the sudden higher ammount will produce alot of gas, and a lot of poain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.