Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dee was supposed to have had her tests done by now. I wonder what happened to her. Dee if you are reading this do update us.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi Bonniei :)Thanks for asking about me.:)I unfortunately never made it to Temple to have the tests done because my poor father had a stroke a couple of days before we were set to leave.I know that you emailed me a week or so ago and didn't intentionally ignore you.It's just that it was a bit was a bit of "touch & go" with my dad at that time,but he is thankfully "OK" now.I ended back at my former GI who believes that I have a "swallowing habit" and he referred me FINALLY to a lovely psychologist who has actually dealt with and helped people with GI complaints.I am still going to ask him if I could take a half a dose of Zelnorm to speed things up in my "borderline normal" stomach.
I've heard that they are currently conducting studies on Zelnorm for FD and Temple is testing a Japanese drug for FD as well.So......:)That is the update on me.I am going to give myself 6 months with this "therapy" and then if things don't improve I am going to ask my GI to refer me to The UNC in NC.My new psychologist has helped people who suffer from regurgitation and pain-related IBS and she honestly believes she can help me.Fingers,toes and everything crosssed.
She says." I need to relax and not expect to improve with the wave of a magic wand overnight.It will take work".How did she know after only 2 sessions how impatient I am?LOLI've noticed that I've turned this post into a novella so I will end it here.Thanks for thinking of me,Bonniei.:)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad you found a good psychologist.Thanks,Bonniei.:)I just have to dedicate myself to "doing the work" to getting myself better.She told me to stop fighting it and except it for now because that was the only way change could come about.That is SOOOOOOO HARD for impatiant old me.LOLEven doing diaphramic relaxation exrecises are difficult because I can't shut off the negative thoughts going through my head.I think because I have lived with this for so long and have been met with nothing but negativity from all the doctors i have seen over the years the concept of ever feeling better again is a foreign and impossible concept to me.I'm not giving up this time though.:)

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HiDee, I know what you mean about not being able to shut out negative thoughts. Hopefully your doc will really help yo with this as it is very crucial to rcovery.

·
Registered
356 Posts
HiDee, I know what you mean about not being able to shut out negative thoughts. Hopefully your doc will really help yo with this as it is very crucial to rcovery.I know.:)My boyfriend said I am my own worst enemy and for once I agreed with him.On this subject anyway.LOLHow did you let the negative thoughts go?I lay there listening to the relaxation tapes she gave me and am doing the deep breathing and my head is someplace else thinking,"this is hopeless".Not condusive to "change".It is like I am in a fight with myself.<SIGH>I am also still stuck in the mindset that I want everything to "change" now.I wonder if there is a self-help book for chronically impatient people?I need it.LOL

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really feel hypnosis is te most painless way of going about it. You can try Mike's hypnosis tapes for IBS although I had a bad experience which I attribute to the tapes but I could have been mistaken in thinking the tapes were the cause. Many people have had success with it. Hypnosis bypasses the conscious and changes your thoughts in the subconscious. What happened to that doc who was going to try hypnosis on you?

·
Registered
356 Posts
What happened to that doc who was going to try hypnosis on you?We had a couple of sessions and I just couldn't "go here".He really didn't have any experience with peple with GI complaints.Then when I went back to my old G.I.,he recommended this psychologist because she has experience with helping people with various GI problems.She does biofeedback as well as hypnosis.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike's tapes cost $100 the cost of a session with your psycholoist. You can listem to them while going to bed. You can fall asleep and it still has an effect on you. I think it is worth getting them as it is gut directed. They will last you a life time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've often thought about purchasing them but wasn't sure if they could help with this particular problem.Both Eric & Flux have stated that belching/burping isn't a symptom of IBS so I didn't think they would be worth the investment.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have a point there. II don't remember that they addressed belching /burping. They target it more towards C and D. Do you suffer from C or D? Then it would be worth it because along with that it does address negative thoughts.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I think you should write to Mike and ask him if his tapes help with burping/belching. Maybe he has general anxiety tapes.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well I think you should write to Mike and ask him if his tapes help with burping/belching. Maybe he has general anxiety tapes.I may do that.:)Thanks,Bonniei.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts