Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had a really couple of weeks whereby BM's have been perfectly well formed and a steady three times a day with no problems at all.Then disaster struck on Sunday where the only dietary change was that I accidently had a soda (Coca-Cola) and I was suffering from very loose stools from about 6pm onwards. I still have it now (Tuesday) and wondering whether I've set myself back again. Could it be that Coke is an irritant/catalyst? Is this true or am I barking up the wrong tree and would it last this long, am I in for another week of this again?Please help me see the wood for the trees.Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
I myself have never had the problem of soda being a catalyst, but I have heard from a number of people on this board saying that sugar does irritate IBS. Perhaps you could search the board for information from others who see sugar as a catalyst. Other than that, try your best to take your minds off of things. I've had migraines for 10 years now, and huge amounts of sugar (chocolate, candy) do trigger migraines. The only way I can deal with it when sugar triggers my migraines is by drinking large amounts of water (it helps get the sugar out of your system) and taking your mind off of things. Other than that, I hope you can find someone with beter knowledge of this and I sincerly hope you don't have to deal with another bout.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Soft drinks almost always have high fructose sucrose in them (I think they make a special version with cane sugar for passover, but I can't remember why that is, but it is a special batch not the usual stuff you get)Fructose is in some people not that well absorbed. Fructose that is not absorbed when it gets to the colon can cause gas and looser stools.Sometimes when you trigger a bout of IBS it can take a few days to get set right again. There may also be other triggers going on as well.K.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts