Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with ibs-d 3 years ago, my symptoms are urgency, loose stools, diarrhea and abdominal pain.

I tried lifestyle changes, diet (low fodmap), probiotics, supplements, therapy, imodium, rifaximine, cholestyramine and antidepressants. currently on 50mg imipramine and low fodmap but my symptoms are still severe - urgency, daily diarrhea (no 5-6 on bristol scale) and abdominal pain.

i'm thinking to ask my doc about codeine as last resort but i'm terrified when it comes to addiction risks. what should i try next? if there's anything left to try...

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am suffering from the same problem. You can try dioctahedral smectite. Millet helps me a lot. I have tried calcium and some herbs. But it didn't work. Try to eat very simple and monotonous food. I hardly eat vegetables and fruits at all, it helps. Sorry if I'm wrong, English is not my language.

· Registered
126 Posts
I was diagnosed with ibs-d 3 years ago, my symptoms are urgency, loose stools, diarrhea and abdominal pain.

I tried lifestyle changes, diet (low fodmap), probiotics, supplements, therapy, imodium, rifaximine, cholestyramine and antidepressants. currently on 50mg imipramine and low fodmap but my symptoms are still severe - urgency, daily diarrhea (no 5-6 on bristol scale) and abdominal pain.

i'm thinking to ask my doc about codeine as last resort but i'm terrified when it comes to addiction risks. what should i try next? if there's anything left to try...
Hi Marius,

FODMAP isn't the only diet to try. FODMAP didn't work for me either (My symptoms-mostly IBS-d and gas). A different diet did give me gas and diarrhea relief.
Not all probiotics are the same either, both quantity and variety matter as well as the acidity of your digestive system while taking them.

It matters how you treat these things. Sometimes you have to do these things at the same time for it to have effect (diet, rifaximin, and a good-variety/large quantity of probiotics).

Don't take codeine or other digestive drugs if you don't want to.
That's a choice.

When I first got my IBS, I was told I could get over the counter Loperamide to help stop my diarrhea.
That was a bad idea, because it would cause an overshoot. With 1 pill i would start getting hard stools, and with 2 pills or more in a day I would get constipation and when the stools came out it was a difficult process passing very rock-hard stools, sometimes causing bleeding.

Drugs like loperamide can overshoot the problem to other otherside, and may not provide the best control.

There are a few people here who have said they have recovered or managed their IBS (IBS-d) to a decent lifestyle.
I'm one of them.

I've told several people here how I got there.
Here's a shorter version of my method. Maybe some items there would work for you. You can read it over and ask your doctor if any of that would be helpful in your case, or how/why waht i did was different than what you did even though maybe we both used Xifaxan and probiotics at some point. Xifaxan was enormously helpful for me for my gas problem. My probiotics were to replace the VSL 3 I was prescribed but without milk in the probiotic. My probiotics were a bifido/lacto bacteria mixture at 150 billion 3 times a day for 2 weeks. My IBS-d and gas were severe, so maybe your doctor would suggest a smaller dosage. My diet was also very restricted and was heavy on the chicken broth at first. Chicken broth has minerals and proteins and amino acids that help heal the gut.
Urgency is partially coorelated to the "spastic" ability of your colon/system.

I maintained ~ 40 minutes of decent (sweat-inducing) exercise almost everyday. This did not only help me destress and cause bowel movements, I took this in lieu of the anxiety medications the doctors had recommended that I be on (to reduce the spastic colon). It seemed to work for me. Yes, I have control and much less urgency (I can hold it for some time even if I feel I need to go right away ~ 10-20 minutes). I did have an urgency problem, but I think since I was always exercising i must have reduced that strong urgency after a few months of my IBS diagnosis (when they told me to take the anxiety medicine, that's when I made my exercise daily vs 3 times a week).
40 minutes is a long time for sedentary people, so start with what you can 15? That should help with urgency.

Here's some of my posts:

Someone who had both IBS-d and IBS-c and other issues:

A shorter response (step-by-step) for someone struggling with urgency and diarrhea like you:

Hope something helps. Even if you do decide to take a drug, a lot of people here comment on how sometimes the drug no longer works for them after a certain period of time. Just something to keep in mind.

· Registered
130 Posts
Hi Marius
From my experience, there is no immediate cure to IBSD. Whatever I try, I keep for at least 6 months, in order to decide if it has any effect on my system and my gut.
I'm saying this, because you mention that you have this problem for 3 years and you have tried many different things, so maybe you didn't give each enough time to work.
I've had IBS for 40 yrs and trying different cures for, at least, the last 25.

Regarding probiotics, there are many many different strains and combinations. I've got different responses (positive and negative) from them and I'm still experimenting.

Have you tried kefir or yoghurt (preferably home brewed)?
Also, eliminating artificial flavors, preservatives, etc could help

I think that our gut is damaged (read about microbiome, there are many links here) and it takes time to repair (if it's possible at all).

Hope I could help a bit. Best of luck!!

· Registered
126 Posts
Hi Marius
From my experience, there is no immediate cure to IBSD. Whatever I try, I keep for at least 6 months, in order to decide if it has any effect on my system and my gut.
I'm saying this, because you mention that you have this problem for 3 years and you have tried many different things, so maybe you didn't give each enough time to work.
I've had IBS for 40 yrs and trying different cures for, at least, the last 25.

Regarding probiotics, there are many many different strains and combinations. I've got different responses (positive and negative) from them and I'm still experimenting.

Have you tried kefir or yoghurt (preferably home brewed)?
Also, eliminating artificial flavors, preservatives, etc could help

I think that our gut is damaged (read about microbiome, there are many links here) and it takes time to repair (if it's possible at all).

Hope I could help a bit. Best of luck!!
It is possible.
And I'm not the only one.
Check out Reddit forums on IBS and SIBO. Seems like other people there have also recovered. I already described how I did it above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts