Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,478 Posts
hi willyyou're story isn't that unusual at all. I guess that's good news and bad news
I myself have IBS that alternates between D and C so it's a little different but I completely understand the whole situational D problem. Frankly, I prefer C since i never ave to worry about getting to a bathroom RIGHT NOW!!Imodium can be your friend. I'm not sure what your doc meant by it causing more problems unless he meant that it can constipate you. And yes it can for some of us so I use it only when needed or to give myself that extra layer of prevention, especially when traveling. But long term use isn't a problem form all I've read and heard, including from my docs.I highly recommend you look into both calcium and hypnotherapy (or other similar therpaies). Like you, I have a huge aversion to medication. I know that it's absolutely necessary under some circumstances but not for me for IBS. I have had tremendous luck with hypnotherapy - it's given me the ability to better actively control attacks even when I can't prevent them. I haven't had to make a mad dash to a bathroom in months although I have had some bad attacks (difference between being able to hold off and having an accident). I've also found fewer attacks. I plan to continue down this road and am confident of even more success.I also use calcium supplements. Calcium carbonate constipates so people with IBS D often have good results. I have to add magnesium to the mix personally since I tend to consitpate anyway. For more info on hypno and other similar therapies, check out the CBT, anxiety and Hypno forum (see coping tools). For more info about calcium, look at the OTC forum I believe. There is a really long thread there on calcium successes.nancy

· Registered
1,478 Posts
generics work well. I get mine at places like Target or Walmart. If you can get to a place like Costco, it's really cheap. I've also heard of some people getting loperamide as a prescription so insurance covers it. That;s just generic imodium. I've never looked into that since I doubt mine would cover it and I don't take enough to warrant that. But something to think of if you are taking it daily. and I would still look into the calcium if I were you - another cheap and effective way to control D. If you were female, I'd recommend it even stronger since all docs I've even ad love the fact that I take calcium regularly - saves them the lecture they normally give women
nancy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.