Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I haven't posted much but I've been a long time reader of this board. After years of experimenting, largely based on suggestions from this forum, I thought I'd share what finally worked for me.This is my daily regimen:before breakfast - 1 immodium, 1 hyoscyamine (.375 mg)after breakfast - 2 fiberconafter lunch - 2 fiberconbefore dinner - 1 immodium, 1 hyoscyamineThis combination has made me about as "regular" as you could hope to be.Other things I have tried to no avail:activia yogurt - no change but it's tastycalcium - lots of varieties, no resultscelexa - horrible experienceIBS advantage - nadaIBS guard - nadaMike's hypnosis CDs - not effectivemindfulness meditation CDs - a waste of moneyprobiotic pills - nopepsyllium husks - nopequestran - seemed to work for a day or twoseeing a shrink - actually, this has been helpful but mostly because it gives me someone to confide in...and it has allowed me to try prescription remedies.I'm sure everyone is different, but I hope this can help someone.

·
Registered
617 Posts
that's cool we should all do one of these.....What helps me1 immodium on wakingQuestran mid-morningQuestran mid-daysome small amount of codeine pill during the day ( stops the awful pain and slows digestion) failry bland diet with occaionsal deviationsmore pain pill if neceessaryThis keeps me at the best and I feel almost normal but can't get drs. to see that I need pain pills to LIVE A NORAML LIFE.what hasn't worked:ElivailfiberantivanlevsinZolofttapes of any kind for mind over matterrelaxation techniqiesdonnatollibraxPlus a few others I'm sure i"m missing

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hello TwoCups
Could you tell me how much codeine you take each day? I was prescribed codeine over 30 years ago for the IBS but have not had it in years. However, 10 years ago I was put onto Paracetamol/Codeine for back pain and I tend to take 1 or 2 of these during the day as they seem to help. However, I do think it is the codeine and not the paracetamol which gives me the relief so am thinking of raising this with my GP.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The elival I tried about 15 years ago so I don't remeber exactly. It kinda made me sleepier I think and all over bloated feeling AND DIDNT' DO A DAMN THING FOR THE D AND PROBABLY MADE IT WORSE AS i REMEBER. As far as the codeine goes I only can get my dr. to prescribe it on a rare basis so If I get any I only take a pill or two a day and space the effects out.

·
Registered
490 Posts
What helps me:Immodium Codeine phosphate (30-60mg in a bad attack)Diphenoxylate (my wonder drug, only prob is it sends my colon to sleep for several days!)Charcoal (for pain and gas)Benzodiazipines in high dosesPeppermint oil (enteric-coated): not sure if it helps or if it's all in the mind.What DOESN'T help me:Mebeverine (Colofac)Alverine Citrate (Spasmonal)Hyocine (Buscopan)Buspar (buspirone)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also was put on Celexa for one year. It was horrible as the known side effect is diarrhea.Since then every anti depressant type medication prescribed to me has been worthless for this condition. I refuse to try any other anti depressants...it is "over-kill" and does not address my medical issues. I am not depressed. I have had IBS-D for over 20 years now. I have issues with anxiety about the IBS-D but that would be expected when dealing with these symptoms and trying to live a normal life.What works for me:1 immodium tablet a.m.Clonazepam .5mg for anxiety induced IBS-DWeekly counseling for controlling IBS-D anxiety issues Massage therapyReading posts on the IBS-D board
...don't feel I am so alone with this....actually having just finished 2 weeks of antibiotics for bronchitis has worked wonders at least for now.What does not work:anti depressantsprobioticsfiber therapybeing told by my non-IBS friends that I can "cure" myself by having a "stronger" mental attitude (apparently mental weakness causes IBS-D...)being told by a doctor to wear depends and then I won't get an attack of IBS-D because I won't "worry" about it anymore.being told by the "pill doctor" that I have OCD because I refuse to try anymore "brain change" chemicals.

·
Registered
617 Posts
yeah, I love it, Sure your anxious "who the hell wants to worry about pooping your pants"your anxious because you have D to begin with not the other way around. I refuse to be given the antidepressant meds too. they are just hoping your feel better and leave them alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.