Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am a 31 year-old male and am not sure what's wrong with me.Basically my whole adult life (late teens on) I have been a guy who hasslept in pretty late. Any time that I had to get up early or had to get upwith some kind of urgency for anything, I would usually have stomach painfollowed by diahrea- a weak stomach that seemed to respond very poorly tostress or change in routine. Anyway, since I usually slept late and hadlittle stress, it wasn't frequent. Anyway, about a year and a half ago I gotinto the stock market and started getting up at 6 AM every day to maketrades. I would roll out of bed instantly stressed and anxious and startedhaving daily morning diahrea as a result. The more I got into the market andthe more stressed I got over it, the worse it would be. Anyway, this becameroutine for me. On weekends or times when I would go away on vacation andrelax, I didn't have the problem, but like clockwork every Monday morningwhen I got up after the weekend or vacation, it was back. I also hadoccassional very painful hemhoroids.Anyway, knowing myself and my body and how my stomach has always respondedto stress with these symptoms, I never really thought anything of it. Inever had any blood or anything like that. But over time, at its worst, myone-time-a-day case of morning diahrea turned to the consistancy of water,and having a bowel movement felt more like "pissing out of the wrong hole"(sorry so graphic but that's the best way I can describe it). Well, aboutsix weeks ago or so, I somehow came across a medical website and convincedmyself that I had colon cancer. I don't know why it got so stuck in my head,but I went into this kind of crazy anxiety over the whole thing. Once Istarted thinking about my stomach and my bowel problems and panicing to noend, the problems only got worse. Not even sleeping in really made adifference after I developed the panic. I have noticed probably over thelast six months that I am almost always tense- gritting my teeth, nervouslytapping my foot, tensing my muscles without meaning to, etc. I'm not surewhat's going on. I can rationally step back and think "wow, I'm stressed"but it doesn't seem to help my subconcious.Anyway, after convincing myself of imminent death, I have developed moresymptoms that I hadn't really ever noticed before. My stomach makes crazygurgling sounds and sometimes feels like water is flushing around in there.Also, I have had some discomfort from my belly seeming bloated and crampy. Iguess that translated to abdominal discomfort and bloating. I have never hadany blood. I did convince myself that my stools had become thinner, but thenpaid more attention and I now don't think so... they kind of vary from thinand loose to fully normal size when they are solid, so I guess that's oksince if there was some huge growth in there it wouldn't change shape on adaily basis.Also, I have never gone to the bathroom more than once a day, no matterwhat the consistancy of the movement. I notice that when I wake up now andimmediately start thinking of the problem, I feel I need to go. If I do, itis liquidy, but if I don't and just go to work, I am able to go through theday. When I'm not thinking about it, I don't notice any real problems. Ithen come home and for the most part it seems to be more solid most of thetime if I go in the evening, sometimes not but much more solid than if I hadgone in the morning when I felt the urgency. I also am most of the time kindof sore down there for a while after going.Lastly, I have taken a few medicines. I tried Tums and Malox which didnothing. Also, Immodium which seemed to put me right for a day or so, butwhen I stopped taking it (usually no more than a tablet or half a tablet)problems back. The great success was something I found at the pharmacycalled Equalactin that's supposed to regulate the fluid absorbtion in thecolon and it says it's the only over the counter medicine for irritablebowel syndrome. It worked amazingly well. I took this for a few days andwhile I was taking it, I became completely regular, solid and normal.However, since I don't really like taking medicines, I stopped taking it andnow I am having problems again. Not as bad, but there nonetheless. If therewere something terribly wrong with me, would it have worked so well? I don'tknow.Anyway, I guess what I'm looking for is some feedback from you all. What doyou think about my situation? Oh, also I have no family history of coloncancer or anything like that. I just don't know how to shake this panic andfear that seems to be making me worse whenever I am thinking about it. Also,I am getting married in 18 days, and that has added to my whole stress load.I really appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, or experiences that couldhelp me figure out how to get myself right again.Thanks so much,Greg

G

·
I don't think I'm out of line in saying that this board is not here to diagnose you with IBS. You really need to see a doctor for that. This is really important, because there are diseases of the digestive system that need to be ruled out. If you don't have the tests done, you're really just playing Russian roulette with your health. After you've been through the routine, I'm sure you'll get lots of advice that will help you manage your symptoms.

G

·
I don't think I'm out of line in saying that this board is not here to diagnose you with IBS. You really need to see a doctor for that. This is really important, because there are diseases of the digestive system that need to be ruled out. If you don't have the tests done, you're really just playing Russian roulette with your health. After you've been through the routine, I'm sure you'll get lots of advice that will help you manage your symptoms.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Greg, I'm so sorry to hear that you are having major problems. Although I am a IBS-CG person I have read many posts on this board concerning the D. I would suggest that you see your doctor to begin with just to rule out anything else that might be causing you problems. If the Equalactin helped, I would stay on it. I hate taking meds too, but if they help then I will take them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Greg, I'm so sorry to hear that you are having major problems. Although I am a IBS-CG person I have read many posts on this board concerning the D. I would suggest that you see your doctor to begin with just to rule out anything else that might be causing you problems. If the Equalactin helped, I would stay on it. I hate taking meds too, but if they help then I will take them.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Greg, the first thing to do is go to a doctor. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. You have already convinced yourself you are dying of cancer, and frankly, I doubt you have enough medical knowledge to form that opinion. Give yourself a break: you're a trader, not a doctor.
Be kind to yourself and see someone that can run some tests, make a diagnosis and suggest managment of whatever is the medical problem. Try and make an appointment today so that you can get some peace of mind before your wedding.
If you get a diagnosis of IBS, it sounds as if worry and stress is making your symptoms a great deal worse. Hypnotherapy is great at tackling this. There is a specific self-help audio cassette program for IBS (well actually, I'm sure there is more than one, but I only have experience of one of them). We have a forum specificaly for Anxiety and Hypnotherapy (and CBT) here - use the hop to link at the bottom of the page.With IBS, it is common to experience worst symptoms in the morning, particularly with diarrhoea. take care ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Greg, the first thing to do is go to a doctor. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. You have already convinced yourself you are dying of cancer, and frankly, I doubt you have enough medical knowledge to form that opinion. Give yourself a break: you're a trader, not a doctor.
Be kind to yourself and see someone that can run some tests, make a diagnosis and suggest managment of whatever is the medical problem. Try and make an appointment today so that you can get some peace of mind before your wedding.
If you get a diagnosis of IBS, it sounds as if worry and stress is making your symptoms a great deal worse. Hypnotherapy is great at tackling this. There is a specific self-help audio cassette program for IBS (well actually, I'm sure there is more than one, but I only have experience of one of them). We have a forum specificaly for Anxiety and Hypnotherapy (and CBT) here - use the hop to link at the bottom of the page.With IBS, it is common to experience worst symptoms in the morning, particularly with diarrhoea. take care ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
561 Posts
shutteroo, my ibs started out just like yours. Its kinda scarey reading your post, because it sounds exactly like me. Only Im female and 29. Mine started about 1 year and 7 months ago. And like you it started it out mild, but the more I worried and panicked about it, the worse it got. I was also grinding my teeth in my sleep, and I couldnt figure out for a long time why my teeth hurt so bad. I convinced myself that I had colon cancer or cancer of the small intestine . I had accepted the fact that I was gonna die. But so far Im still here. I can tell you, if you havent had a colonoscopy yet, you should just for the peace of mind. Its a small price to pay, for the peace of mind you get in return. I was so happy when I had mine done, and there was no colon cancer. It relieved a lot of stress for me. Although I continued to worry about other cancers, I at least could put that worry to rest. My stomach also makes the constant gurgling noises. I have a good feeling things will turn out good for you. Oh, and I only have one bowel movement a day also. Its wierd too, kinda in between c and d. Good luck!

·
Registered
561 Posts
shutteroo, my ibs started out just like yours. Its kinda scarey reading your post, because it sounds exactly like me. Only Im female and 29. Mine started about 1 year and 7 months ago. And like you it started it out mild, but the more I worried and panicked about it, the worse it got. I was also grinding my teeth in my sleep, and I couldnt figure out for a long time why my teeth hurt so bad. I convinced myself that I had colon cancer or cancer of the small intestine . I had accepted the fact that I was gonna die. But so far Im still here. I can tell you, if you havent had a colonoscopy yet, you should just for the peace of mind. Its a small price to pay, for the peace of mind you get in return. I was so happy when I had mine done, and there was no colon cancer. It relieved a lot of stress for me. Although I continued to worry about other cancers, I at least could put that worry to rest. My stomach also makes the constant gurgling noises. I have a good feeling things will turn out good for you. Oh, and I only have one bowel movement a day also. Its wierd too, kinda in between c and d. Good luck!

G

·
GIVE YOUR FUTURE WIFE A BR3EAK SEE A GI DOC.I WOULD DO GASTROSCOPU, COLONOSCOPY, SMAC, CBC, SED RATE, PSA--AND I AM ALMOST SURE BUT NOT 100% THIS ARE OK THEN I WOULD PUT YOU IN TAPES-COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY--THEN GET MARRIED. LIFE IS TO SHORT--TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND YES THERE ARE SOME NICE DOCS ALTHOUGH RARRRRRRE AROUND.------------------

G

·
GIVE YOUR FUTURE WIFE A BR3EAK SEE A GI DOC.I WOULD DO GASTROSCOPU, COLONOSCOPY, SMAC, CBC, SED RATE, PSA--AND I AM ALMOST SURE BUT NOT 100% THIS ARE OK THEN I WOULD PUT YOU IN TAPES-COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY--THEN GET MARRIED. LIFE IS TO SHORT--TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND YES THERE ARE SOME NICE DOCS ALTHOUGH RARRRRRRE AROUND.------------------

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you are diagnosed with IBS-D, you may find a doctor saying any of the below things:1. It's all in your head.2. You'll just have to live with it.3. There is no treatment for IBS.4. Here, try 70 mg Bentyl anti-spasmodic.In your particular case, you already have an inexpensive over-the-counter treatment that seems to work, so I would stick with it.If you're lucky, the doctor will have experience with successful treatment of IBS.Some general info about IBS-D, and these are my own personal opinions:1. As many as 30%+ of IBS-D patients may actually be experiencing a food allergy or food intolerance. This is particularly true if you experience "hot and sweaty" or "cold and clammy" episodes along with your D, or if you already have known allergies. One way to determine this is to keep an hourly log of food ingested and symptoms experienced. You may begin to see a pattern, recognizing that there can be a time delay between ingestion and symptoms of 12-18 hours. Common problem foods are caffeine, dairy products, gluten, fructose, citrus fruits, sorbitol, and lettuce. Treatment is elimination from the diet.2. Maybe 30% of IBS-D sufferers have gallbladder problems, and may have had the gallbladder removed. These folks respond well to calcium carbonate supplements (like Caltrate, up to several 600mg tablets a day), and to cholesterol-binding drugs like Questran and Colestid. Why, I don't know, but they seem to work.3. Some IBS-D sufferers may have related anxiety disorders. Both that and the IBS may be treatable with anti-depressant or anti-anxiety drugs like Elavil (amitriptyline) or Paxil.Good luck to you in your search for relief.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you are diagnosed with IBS-D, you may find a doctor saying any of the below things:1. It's all in your head.2. You'll just have to live with it.3. There is no treatment for IBS.4. Here, try 70 mg Bentyl anti-spasmodic.In your particular case, you already have an inexpensive over-the-counter treatment that seems to work, so I would stick with it.If you're lucky, the doctor will have experience with successful treatment of IBS.Some general info about IBS-D, and these are my own personal opinions:1. As many as 30%+ of IBS-D patients may actually be experiencing a food allergy or food intolerance. This is particularly true if you experience "hot and sweaty" or "cold and clammy" episodes along with your D, or if you already have known allergies. One way to determine this is to keep an hourly log of food ingested and symptoms experienced. You may begin to see a pattern, recognizing that there can be a time delay between ingestion and symptoms of 12-18 hours. Common problem foods are caffeine, dairy products, gluten, fructose, citrus fruits, sorbitol, and lettuce. Treatment is elimination from the diet.2. Maybe 30% of IBS-D sufferers have gallbladder problems, and may have had the gallbladder removed. These folks respond well to calcium carbonate supplements (like Caltrate, up to several 600mg tablets a day), and to cholesterol-binding drugs like Questran and Colestid. Why, I don't know, but they seem to work.3. Some IBS-D sufferers may have related anxiety disorders. Both that and the IBS may be treatable with anti-depressant or anti-anxiety drugs like Elavil (amitriptyline) or Paxil.Good luck to you in your search for relief.

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
Shutter, you really need to see a doctor and have the tests done to rule out organic conditions. This is majorally important.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
Shutter, you really need to see a doctor and have the tests done to rule out organic conditions. This is majorally important.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hey shutter, I wondered if you were a fellow photog from your username, and yep, we share the exact same profession! And I know that it isn't one of the easier ones to do with IBS-D.I think the change in schedule could be part of your problem... my body just doesn't like mornings. And the fact that I'm not a morning person, to say the least, so am frequently rushing and running late doesn't help things in the morning.Also, while you may be happy about the marriage, I'm betting deep down inside there is some anxiety...if about nothing else, then about your gut behaving itself when it needs to for the big event! (And following events
) BTW, many IBS-D folks on here report that the gut cooperated on their wedding day. Anyhow, it sounds like you have a lot of things going on right now, and it's very possible that you've got a constant low level of stress that you may not even be aware of that is making your gut flare up like this. (Of course IBS is not just stress, but stress happens to be a big trigger to make it go out of control for a lot of people, myself included.)BUT, as others have said, you NEED to see your doc to make sure there isn't something else going on. There are many things that can cause these types of problems. Wouldn't you kick yourself later if you found out you had something that could be treated easily and you'd held off on going to the dr? I know it doesn't make going easier, but you need to do it. And if the dr wants to run some tests on you, there are lots of people on here who have been through the same thing and more, and this board is a great source of support and, if nothing else, "me-too's." Feel free to email me if you want to talk about the way IBS affects your work or anything else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.