Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,Excuse me for my english for i am dutch.Can you people help me out here?Here's my story.For 3 years ago I had my first stomachpains I would call obstipation.This happened maybe 4 times in the last 3 years. Ok, nothing to worrie about. I sometimes took a klisma(?) and everything was fine. The doctor told me I proberbly had IBS. Now, 2 weeks ago I got stomach flu and after 4 days of diarrea the doc. told me I could take Imodium to stop it. Now the trouble started. I woke up in the middle of the night with severe low abdominal pain.Cramps and the feeling someone wants to put a knife in my lower belly.I went back to the doctor and told him the pain didn't go away he said nothing to worrie about it's just my IBS.Last thursday I could't stand the pain anymore and went back to the doctor and he did a bloodcheck.Everything ok, no inflammations of any kind and my urine was also ok.Today (sunday) I went to the hospital because I can't even sleep because of the pain. I mean it's not that I'm screaming but it's just there ALLWAYS. So again bloodtest, urine a finger up my ass.And an xray of the belly.Everything got back ok!!!!!What's going on?I'm in pain! Is it normal to have stomach pain for 1 1/2 week when you have IBS?I'm running a fever everyday that gets worse in the evening.The doctor at the hospital gave me Buscopan to ease the pain. It doesn't work.The only thing that gives me some relieve is Ibuprofen.If things don't get better in the next 5 or 6 days I'm going to get the tube in my a.....Help me I'm so scared!Marco

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi Marco, welcome to the board
Your english is fine! Did your doctor advise you to eat plenty of fiber (or take fiber supplements) with plenty of water too? That can help with both constipation and diarrhoea. Did your doctor suggest you could take antispasmodics for the pain? You can get them on prescription or over the counterIt is normal for all the blood tests to come back normal with IBS. Gut-directed hypnotherapy can be really helpful for the pain.Yes, it can be normal to have pain for 1 1/2 weeks with IBS. I've had pain for um... 7 years everyday and my IBS is fairly typical. It is common for your IBS to get worse after stomach flu. There is both 'good' and 'bad' bacteria in your gut. Sometimes after stomach flu & diarrhoea the 'good' bacteria which keeps everything balanced can get depleted. You can take a supplement to replace these or eat specific foods - it is called 'probiotics' as an overall term, and specifically acidophillus. Live (Bio) yoghurt is a very good source of the 'good' bacteria. I'd recommend starting with the acidophillus as your diarrhoea really started after the stomach flu. Take some extra fiber too to help your BMs be more 'normal' and also you could try the antispasmodics. take care,------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS[This message has been edited by wanderingstar (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi Marco, welcome to the board
Your english is fine! Did your doctor advise you to eat plenty of fiber (or take fiber supplements) with plenty of water too? That can help with both constipation and diarrhoea. Did your doctor suggest you could take antispasmodics for the pain? You can get them on prescription or over the counterIt is normal for all the blood tests to come back normal with IBS. Gut-directed hypnotherapy can be really helpful for the pain.Yes, it can be normal to have pain for 1 1/2 weeks with IBS. I've had pain for um... 7 years everyday and my IBS is fairly typical. It is common for your IBS to get worse after stomach flu. There is both 'good' and 'bad' bacteria in your gut. Sometimes after stomach flu & diarrhoea the 'good' bacteria which keeps everything balanced can get depleted. You can take a supplement to replace these or eat specific foods - it is called 'probiotics' as an overall term, and specifically acidophillus. Live (Bio) yoghurt is a very good source of the 'good' bacteria. I'd recommend starting with the acidophillus as your diarrhoea really started after the stomach flu. Take some extra fiber too to help your BMs be more 'normal' and also you could try the antispasmodics. take care,------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS[This message has been edited by wanderingstar (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Marco, I'm so sorry you are feeling so badly. Yes I have had IBS pain for that long & longer. The pain at times so severe that I thought it had to be something else. But no it wasn't. I had the colonoscopy & everything was fine too. So it was just IBS pain. The only thing that bothers me in your story is the fever. That is not common in IBS. Watch your temperature closely. Go back to the hospital if you feel you should. Fever might be indicative of something else, perhaps just a virus. But you know your body best & if you feel another trip to the hospital is needed, go. By the way, the test where they look up thru your colon is not bad. I don't even recall mine. I don't know how they do it in your country, but here I was given a drug and promptly went to sleep & stayed asleep for the whole test. To get ready for the test, cleaning out your system, was the worst part for me. The rest was easy. So try not to be too concerned, plus it will be worth it to find out what is going on in there.Your English is good!!!! Well let's put it this way, It is world's better than my Dutch.
Hope you feel better & please let us know how you are doing when you can. BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Marco, I'm so sorry you are feeling so badly. Yes I have had IBS pain for that long & longer. The pain at times so severe that I thought it had to be something else. But no it wasn't. I had the colonoscopy & everything was fine too. So it was just IBS pain. The only thing that bothers me in your story is the fever. That is not common in IBS. Watch your temperature closely. Go back to the hospital if you feel you should. Fever might be indicative of something else, perhaps just a virus. But you know your body best & if you feel another trip to the hospital is needed, go. By the way, the test where they look up thru your colon is not bad. I don't even recall mine. I don't know how they do it in your country, but here I was given a drug and promptly went to sleep & stayed asleep for the whole test. To get ready for the test, cleaning out your system, was the worst part for me. The rest was easy. So try not to be too concerned, plus it will be worth it to find out what is going on in there.Your English is good!!!! Well let's put it this way, It is world's better than my Dutch.
Hope you feel better & please let us know how you are doing when you can. BQ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.