Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Functional Nutrition Gut Health Coach
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm curious what your biggest frustration with your IBS is?

Common things I hear are:
  • I can't eat out with my friends/family.
  • I don't know what to eat.
  • There's so much conflicting information.
  • My doctor doesn't know what to do with me.
  • My family/spouse/partner doesn't get it.
Is yours one of these, or do you have your own unique frustration? I'd like to hear about it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to agree with the doctors unable to do anything. I felt like a lab rat constantly being told to try new medicine because IBS medicine doesn't really exist. After spending hundreds buying what I was told, they gave up. Prescriptions aren't cheap or free even with IBS and the cost of trying everything is ridiculous. I can eat with the medicine I buy but at a cost of like £40 a month. That's just digestion tablets and milk tablets so I can eat dairy. The strongest medicine my IBS can handle is calpol and after the last cold, it can't even do that anymore. I'm lucky I can take what I can. To be honest, for maybe just over the first year I wished I had cancer. I know it sounds awful but even when they can't cure it, at least they can help you. With IBS all you get is, sorry we don't really know what to do but good luck figuring it out yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Basically all of these but the worst part is my doctor not knowing what to do. I also have GERD which is more of an issue lately since the doctor took me off of Prilosec suddenly and I’ve had rebound symptoms like every day since. So there’s also the urgency and diarrhea, I feel like I can’t live a normal life. Between the GERD and IBS I feel totally hopeless.

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You just said you had IBS , Which is Past Tense and not Past Continuous , so How did you cure it ? . or What helped you get rid of it ?
Hi Philip,

It took quite a long time and many experiments, but here's a summary of what helped:
  • I got clear about which specific foods were my non-negotiable triggers, and which I could eat sometimes.
  • I got serious about dealing with my stress. I personally used a series of brain balancing meditation recordings from EquiSync, get enough sleep, and do daily exercise.
  • I experimented with a lot of supplements with my one-at-a-time and titration method that I teach, but the main ones that helped me were quercetin and magnesium. Probiotics were a no. Enzymes a no. Betaine HCL no, etc.
  • I did SIBO and stool testing. I was SIBO positive, and also had parasites, bacterial dysbiosis, and some candida. I did a combination of treatments to address: medicinal enemas and herbs for the parasites, over months; antibacterial herb protocols. But the thing that really made the most difference was doing SIBO treatment, followed by the Clear Passage treatment program. I had to do 4 rounds of Rifaximin, but I'm now 1 year SIBO free. My first course of SIBO treatment dramatically improved my IBS symptoms, particularly constipation and floating stool.
I still need to minimize a few particular foods, but otherwise, my gut is in pretty good shape. I teach others how to do this now. It's not exactly easy, but there IS hope for healing, I promise.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Philip,

It took quite a long time and many experiments, but here's a summary of what helped:
  • I got clear about which specific foods were my non-negotiable triggers, and which I could eat sometimes.
  • I got serious about dealing with my stress. I personally used a series of brain balancing meditation recordings from EquiSync, get enough sleep, and do daily exercise.
  • I experimented with a lot of supplements with my one-at-a-time and titration method that I teach, but the main ones that helped me were quercetin and magnesium. Probiotics were a no. Enzymes a no. Betaine HCL no, etc.
  • I did SIBO and stool testing. I was SIBO positive, and also had parasites, bacterial dysbiosis, and some candida. I did a combination of treatments to address: medicinal enemas and herbs for the parasites, over months; antibacterial herb protocols. But the thing that really made the most difference was doing SIBO treatment, followed by the Clear Passage treatment program. I had to do 4 rounds of Rifaximin, but I'm now 1 year SIBO free. My first course of SIBO treatment dramatically improved my IBS symptoms, particularly constipation and floating stool.
I still need to minimize a few particular foods, but otherwise, my gut is in pretty good shape. I teach others how to do this now. It's not exactly easy, but there IS hope for healing, I promise.
I had success also with Rifaximin/Xifaxan and Nystatin. They were amazing help when nothing else was working-- At that point I had already found my core "safe" diet, but was having gas or/and diarrhea even on my safe diet (had been safe for a year or so at the time). So, it didn't make sense. The Xifaxan came in and cleaned whatever was there. But for me probiotics did help, a lot. I was told to follow up with probiotics after the Xifaxan. Now, I eat foods that hadn't agreed with me since my IBS started 9 years ago, Xifaxan treatment started~5 years ago (only every now and then). I haveen't had an IBS flare in about 2 years and minimal upsets starting 3-4 years ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had success also with Rifaximin/Xifaxan and Nystatin. They were amazing help when nothing else was working-- At that point I had already found my core "safe" diet, but was having gas or/and diarrhea even on my safe diet (had been safe for a year or so at the time). So, it didn't make sense. The Xifaxan came in and cleaned whatever was there. But for me probiotics did help, a lot. I was told to follow up with probiotics after the Xifaxan. Now, I eat foods that hadn't agreed with me since my IBS started 9 years ago, Xifaxan treatment started~5 years ago (only every now and then). I haveen't had an IBS flare in about 2 years and minimal upsets starting 3-4 years ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m taking a SIBO test this weekend. I’m a bit nervous if test positive and have to take antibiotics. What do they tell you to do to offset the antibiotics from killing all your good bacteria? BTW how bad does the solution taste?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’m taking a SIBO test this weekend. I’m a bit nervous if test positive and have to take antibiotics. What do they tell you to do to offset the antibiotics from killing all your good bacteria? BTW how bad does the solution taste?
HI Dee,

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you found a way to survive or even enjoy it!:)
Different doctors take the use of antibiotics in varying degrees of seriousness.
Some already suggest you take a good probiotic, or a a strong one for weeks after or and during the time you take antibiotics.
Some doctors just say things like "whatever you want." and are indifferent.... really, i've had those (not helpful).

If you've never taken a probiotic before, well here's somethings to know.
Depending on the current state of your IBS/digestive system, you possibly could have a little bit of an upset the first day or few days on the probiotic. I heard something about how the bad bacteria/yeast are fighting to keep their place. But usually this doesn't last more than a few days . I don't recall that I ever had an upset with probiotics that didn't have something else.

For example the first probiotics I was prescribed were VSL 150 billion or 200 billion. I told the Dr. I was milk intolerant, he said the benefits outweigh the problems.. But, it didn't work out well for me because i had an upset due to the milk..how do I know, well my apartment started smelling like sour or passed milk. .. gross i know. :/

So, I immediately stopped and looked for a probiotic without milk and also without Oligosaccharides and inulin, things I knew I didn't react well to.
I found Renew Life probiotics to have a similar 150 billion dose with some of the strains as VSL, so I started taking that.

Point is, check the label of the probiotic you end up using and make sure it doesn't have things you're intolerant to. That way you get benefits without the upset.
If possible (if not told otherwise by gastroenterologist) start small or medium to avoid any upset from the "fight back." Try like 20-25 billion a day as a starting point and then increase to whatever is suggested by your doctor.

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Dee, sorry I missed your post and question earlier...some doctors will recommend probiotics, but for many SIBO patients, probiotics aggravate symptoms. The good news is that rifaximin is very targeted just to the small intestine, and is not supposed to have a huge negative impact on your good bacteria in your colon. And by now I'm sure you already took the test, but the solution doesn't taste bad, just sweet. Did you get your test results yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Dee, sorry I missed your post and question earlier...some doctors will recommend probiotics, but for many SIBO patients, probiotics aggravate symptoms. The good news is that rifaximin is very targeted just to the small intestine, and is not supposed to have a huge negative impact on your good bacteria in your colon. And by now I'm sure you already took the test, but the solution doesn't taste bad, just sweet. Did you get your test results yet?
Hi Everyone
Thank you for your response. No haven’t gotten my results back yet. They said could take a week.
Definitely seeing a correlation to my nerves and having IBS-D because I was nervous about going away and had an attack.
Yes, I agree the solution wasn’t bad at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts