Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been IBS-C for a few years but I have never experienced so many bathroom ''problems'' as I have in the past year or so. I get a lot of cramps, bloating, pain, urgency etc in the mornings and find it difficult to have a decent BM before leaving the house. What do you do to make it easier for yourself?I often find that I am not having a BM for one or two hours after getting up in the morning..and that's quite a problem.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I get up about 2 hours earlier when I have to do something in the morning. I usually put off making appts or doing anything until the afternoon if I can. Of course, I know this is not always possible if you have to work every morning. I felt like I was always suffering when I worked full time!

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
i'm ibs-c too and yes that's what i had to do when i was working--get up two to three hours before i had to leave for work. needed the extra time to go plus i am totally unable to go at all if i'm feeling rushed and stressed. and yes it's hard doing that---plus if you want to get a decent amount of sleep you have to go to bed earlier....i've always wished i was one of those lucky people who could just get up, eat breakfast, poop after a reasonable amount of time and go---or poop at work--never could do that either.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've never been able to go in the mornings, so I don't bother trying unless I really feel the need. My doctor actually told me that it's a fallacy that human beings are 'meant' to go in the mornings and that most people actually go better after their evening meal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I guess I'll just have to get up earlier in the mornings. It hasn't been an issue up until now basically because I've been unemployed for a while..but I'll be studying in about 6 weeks or so and will have to get up at like 5 am. I just wish I could figure out how to get into a ''routine'' and be set for the day. I've cut down on the amount of food I eat (probably bad) and stopped eating after 6pm at night...hoping that'll give my body time to digest everything and hopefully have a BM in the morning. People who can poo in the mornings don't know how easy they've got it

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Claire Louise, That is true I think about the pooping thing. At least it is for my husband. I always thought that was weird! Tomorrow I am running at 6:45am and won't bother to get up 2 hours early to poop! But, my stomach won't feel right all day cause if I don't go in the morning, it ain't happening and then I get all bloated and crampy. Oh the joys of IBS

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
same thing is true for my husband--he's mainly an after-dinner-pooper too. he's one of the lucky ones--he can go whenever where ever--sometimes goes in the am as well.pretendworld--oh yes you are so right-they don't know how easy they've got it. and good luck with your new routine. hopefully your body will settle into it and not give you problems. you mentioned cutting down on your food intake. you might have to play around a bit with that--see what works best--cutting down too much on what i eat generally makes my c worse--seems like i have to have a certain amount of food, fiber in there to keep things moving. and of course we're all different in how our bodies work--find out what works best for you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Scarlett, have you thought any more about trying alternative remedies? I know it's hard not to take laxatives all the time but it's not particularly good for you in the long term, plus most people seem to get used to them pretty quickly and the effect wears off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.