Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had IBS for three years, with diarhea, bloating, and gas. I was on the Gotschild (spelling?) diet for a long time, which is a low carbohydrate diet. I was eating almost exclusively homemade yogurt meat, cheese, fruit, and nut flour. It worked wonders at first, but then faltered. After tracking my symptoms for a month, this January, I decided that the specific carbohydrate diet wasn't improving anything. I looked for something new (desperately), and found the Eating For Irritable Bowel Syndrome Website. (Please look at this if you haven't already!)The prescribed diet seemed ridiculous to me: "what to eat when you can't eat anything - bread, bagels, pasta." It was all wheat!! I thought wheat was the most dangerous of off-limit foods.But I had nothing to lose so I tried it. - I have found that dry white bread toast and strong peppermint, chamomile, and ginger tea make me pretty much symptom free. (I hadn't been able to find any 'safe' foods before). Bread and water is not the most luxurious diet, but finding anything that makes me feel normal seems like a godsend. This might also be important: I take acidophilus, and two garlic pills with every meal.Slippery elm also alleviates symptoms, but I should put that on another message. My heart is with all of you!love,Amanda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Amanda
It's good to hear you have found something which works for you.
Have you seen "Eating for IBS" Heather's current thread about the success of her book? Many of us have found it useful. Here's the link ... http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/019200.html Julie------------------*** Seeking accurate information in the fight against IBS ***

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HI AMANDA: _______________________"I thought wheat was the most dangerous of off-limit foods." _______________________Just one more affirmation of the fact that "one [mans' wheat] is another [mans'] poison". {har de har har har}.Of the several thousand food-reactive people I have been privileged to see "assayed" (this database is all Americans) only about 20% OF THE FOOD REACTIVE PEOPLE (not "the whole population") have tested positive for non-"allergy" wheat reactivity...which is much more frequent than actual wheat allergy or celiac disease. Evrey single person with food sensiitivity has a different profile...yet myths like the one you were taught continue to be perpetuated.I hear the polar opposite at times when a person finds out they cannot eat soy as they are sensitive to it: "But I was always taught that soy was GOOD for you..better than meat.".Oy. Such generalities about protein source pros and cons have nothing to do with what may make [a particular individual] sick. You are fortunate to have learned otherwise more easily than some. Took me better than 35 years....And you are also fortunate that this diet works for you, as it will (out of pure statistical probability) for people who are NOT reactive to those foods or additives in it (or at least subclinically reactive...and other foods to which they are more reactive are removed). Since there seems to be (in the patients seen through us that present with food intolerance symptoms) only a 1 in 5 probability of wheat reactivity plus whatever the odds are for wheat allergy...the statistics are in many peoples favor.But it also has to be kept in mind that another myth should not be propagated: that any one diet is going to be suitable for everyone. If it is [propogated], the people whose symptoms do not go away or get worse on it will simply say "Gee, and I thought {xyz Diet} was supposed to STOP IBS! So I guess it is not food causing it after all. What a ripoff, what a fool I was again." etc.So, my advice to all when you hear such generalities presented as dogma (oh, another good one like "ALL IBS is celiac disease" or "All IBS is floral imbalance" or "All IBS is psychosocial dysfunction" ad nauseum) it is a sure sign someone did not do their homework...or the dog ate it.Eat well. Think Well. Be Well.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
106 Posts
Amandaa.....you will eventually find most of your trigger foods...as of now anyways (they can always change) in time. I was like you at first, NOTHING was a safe food...I cut all wheat and dairy out of my diet for a couple of months and got myself back on track. That was one thing the nutritionist got right. Be patient and give it time. When you find a "safe" food be sure not to "overuse" it....it may then become a trigger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts