Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
(had taken Klean prep for the colonoscopy and upper GI then due to snow it was cancelled) Yesterday i ate throughout the day normally when i found that i would be waiting till next week for the procedure that was cancelled.I ate pasta, wholemeal bread and some soup. After a few hours i got really bad abdominal discomfort, bloat, gas, nausea and change in BM. Since my IBS symptoms began ive never had a chance to test a certain food on my body when its completley empty... (klean prep)The procedure that im having is going to test for celiac disease, i feel that if i havent got that i may have a wheat intolerance, is this something that people have or suffer from?Ive been seriously thinking about converting my diet to Gluten free/Wheat free for a while as i had an idea that it was this kind of food exasperating the IBS (or if i have celiac disease)....What is the difference between a wheat intolerance and Celiac Disease? (difference to what it does to the body and symptoms etc)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If your immune system specifically reacts to gluten which is a protein that is celiac disease.Some people with IBS are very (sometimes very very very) sensitive to gas volume. Any food with resistant starch or other indigestible carbohydrates will create enough gas to push on the colon and make them feel bloated and pain and all those IBS discomforts. With celiac disease you have to eliminate every single thing that might ever have come in contact with wheat. All extracts of wheat (and barley and rye) including every food additive made from wheat and anything that may have been processed in a factory with wheat (a lot of oats) and may be set off if there is any cross contamination in a kitchen (so someone stirs the wheat pasta then stirs the gluten free pasta with the same spoon without washing it enough).If you react to resistant starch you need to limit (but not always completely avoid in every last molecule of food) starches. Rice is usually very low in resistant starch. But this means other grains may set you off, and if you have issues with fructose or lactose you may need to limit those things and may also have problems with sorbitol (raw apples and pears or sugar free gum) or the indigestible sugars in things like beans, legumes, and cabbage family veggies.If you have celiac you don't have to go low carb. If you have a more general indigestible starch/sugar problem you may want to switch to a lower carb diet and find out what level you can tolerate. You wouldn't need to buy special gluten free products and some of those may bother you because they have too much resistant starch from other things.The reaction several hours later after the food has probably gotten to the colon and the gas is being made may point to a gas volume problem.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think i have a problem processing wheat. a few hours after i've eaten brad or pasta i get the urge for a bowel movement. . .this happens frequently.I would say this is the only real trigger i have ever identified...and only very recently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to this site, and suspect I have a wheat intolerance too. However for me, wheat seems to bring my digestive system to a complete standstill, and causes very severe constipation.I am going wheat-free and it helps a lot with the bloating and gas and pain. Sometimes after eating cereal and bread I would be looking pregnant by early afternoon!Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.