Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how many of you got tested for wheat intolerence?I was reading in a magazine last night and it was about this subject. It says that the symptoms are the same as IBS symptoms.I didnt have a test for this done before they told me I had IBS. Did any of you guys have it done? If so what do they do?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was told not to have an intolerance test as they are very expensive and not reliable (tending to kick up all sorts of "supposed" intolerences (my dietician's wording) which can mean you end up eating nothing at all.I did get tested for Celiac with a blood test and I understand that a lot of intolerence testing is a pinprick scenario.I was advised to do a food diary instead...

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was told not to have an intolerance test as they are very expensive and not reliable (tending to kick up all sorts of "supposed" intolerences (my dietician's wording) which can mean you end up eating nothing at all.I did get tested for Celiac with a blood test and I understand that a lot of intolerence testing is a pinprick scenario.I was advised to do a food diary instead...

G

·
I tottered along to a food intolerance expert who tested me with little glass vials (sounds bizarre - acupressure?). Sounds like a total quack and maybe she is but put it this way, try to manage on the diet she suggested (but modified to suit my lifestyle - I have 3 kids so can't impose everything on family meals that she suggested) and I do feel alot better. Yes, I seem to have a wheat intolerance and a dairy intolerance so I try to avoid butties and alot of bread, drink goats milk (grizzly but now I'm used to it)and take a probiotic to aid digestion and I do feel alot better. Might be worth at least seeking out a good health food shop and seeing what they suggest, you can only try these things and at the end of the day, if you feel better (whether or not its based on scientific/medical fact) - who cares. I'm pragmatic about IBS - manage it the best way you can however that might be and however sniffy other people are about the possible ways to do that. Good luck to you anyway.Sue, Manchester

G

·
I tottered along to a food intolerance expert who tested me with little glass vials (sounds bizarre - acupressure?). Sounds like a total quack and maybe she is but put it this way, try to manage on the diet she suggested (but modified to suit my lifestyle - I have 3 kids so can't impose everything on family meals that she suggested) and I do feel alot better. Yes, I seem to have a wheat intolerance and a dairy intolerance so I try to avoid butties and alot of bread, drink goats milk (grizzly but now I'm used to it)and take a probiotic to aid digestion and I do feel alot better. Might be worth at least seeking out a good health food shop and seeing what they suggest, you can only try these things and at the end of the day, if you feel better (whether or not its based on scientific/medical fact) - who cares. I'm pragmatic about IBS - manage it the best way you can however that might be and however sniffy other people are about the possible ways to do that. Good luck to you anyway.Sue, Manchester

1 - 5 of 5 Posts