Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple.....when do we find out how this started? I'm so ticked off at how much the government blows this stuff off and doesn't talk about it. Are they to blame for some unknown effects of some fertilizer or foods or who knows what? I want to know how this all started. History includes very little intestinal problems. So something had to make this happen......WHAT?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Um... From what I have read.Ancient medical texts describe the constellation of symptoms that are how we now define IBS.The modern medical era from the 1800's has IBS or something that we now call IBS in it all the way back then. One late 1800's paper actually described the symptom and even made some comments that fit with the biopsychosocial model that wasn't proposed for at least another 100 years (pretty smart guy from back then)Most cultures have numerous herbs for treating diarrhea, constipation and other digestive ills.Modern farming/slaughter practices may be increasing food poisoning, a known risk for IBS.A ton of people here know that Grandma or Grandpa had "issues" that sounded a lot like IBS.It isn't all that new as far as I can tell. We just now have the internet and people find out they aren't the only one, and only recently has science actually gotten around to studying it. Doesn't mean that just because no one cared to do the experiments before the last 20 years that the symptoms did not exist before then.K.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Brokenhit...have you written to the government? If your this mad then you should be writing to all your state representatives and telling them how upset you are. Keep faxing, emailing and writing snail mail. The squeekey wheel.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have talkd to a lot of women lately and they have been told by their drs. they have ibs, the strange things is most of these women have recently gone on diet like atkins and one I can't pronounce I did the atkins diet lost alot of weight and gained it back really fast, could this be the trigger that starts ibs????????? it seems to be really a strange occurance, with all these different women, have any of you noticed ibs starting after a drastic diet?????

·
Registered
97 Posts
My IBS was diagnosed when I was 13 years old, and I had never dieted as a child. Back then they did not call it IBS.... they told my mother and I that I had a spastic intestine. I have tried the south beach diet as an adult, and saw no change in my symptoms on or off of that diet. Who know, though... maybe all the meats that are eaten on these diets, and the bacteria that are sometimes present in meat can be at fault for some people. It's all a mystery... lolTake careValerie

·
Registered
222 Posts
MY IBS WAS A DIRECT RESULT OF HELICOPACTER-PYLORI.THE THOUGHT PROCESS ON MINE WAS THAT I CONTRACTED H-P AS A CHILD AND THE RELATED IRRITATION LED TO IBS. HELICO.COM - DESCRIBES H-PYLORI AND OTHER INTESTINAL PROBLEMS.I AM A FIRM BELIEVER THAN THE IBS IS INITIATED INITIALLY THROUGH MINOR FOOD POISONING(BAD BACTERIA)WHICH LINGERS IN THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM. IT IS ESTIMATED THAT 88% OF CHICKEN IS INFECTED WITH SALMONALA(?).BILL

·
Registered
229 Posts
Then these strict diets could be a cause because you eat alot of beef and chicken on them and they could have the bad bacteria in them that starts it off. I have been tested for h-pyoria and it was neg. so I think most of mine started from too many antibotics which one homopathic dr, told me it take 8-10 weeks for the good bacteria to establish itself back in the system, so I am very leary of taking them even having my kids take them. I do know my kids both have stomach problems and my grandmother had this too so mine could also be passed down. who really knows???
I just was curious because of so many people I had talked too had just gotten off those diets and now have ibs. I too did the atkins and maybe that started it all. Laurie

·
Registered
229 Posts
slm: I know i did better on a low carb diet it is easier now that my kids are older and can cook for themselves and I don't have to make a big dinner with lots of differnt things. just a question? why do french fries not bother me but potatoes any other way kill me? anybody know. I do know when I researched celiacs it said not to eat much with modified food starch in it, that too is in everything. and the breads without wheat in them fall apart and taste yucky, I used to love to take meat and just wrap up a pickle and a little mayo and eat just that. If I had my choice over bread or something sweet it would of cours be the carbs. I went without eating much carbs for almost 2 years, but gained the weight back fast. so guess it is time to start back on low carbs again. tried to eat some stuff with low sugar made me really sick. I know if I stayed off the wine I would lose weight but I can't seem to unwind any other way even with my meds for anxiety and exercise. I do read alot which helps so I drink wine and read eveynight.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I was first diagnosed with it when I was 5 (and yes, I had suffered with it my whole life as far back as I can remember) so does that mean I maybe had some gastro bug as a child or can some people just be born with it? As far as I know I was born with mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I definitely think it has something to do with the hormones and god knows what else they put in our food. My symptoms have gone away since I gave up meat, so I think there could be a correlation. I think IBS is a combination of food allergies induced by eating toxic food. And when I say toxic, I mean it can come from the soil, water, anti-biotics that they give animals that we eat for meat, not cooking your food well enough, cooking it too long etc. Basically, eating any kind of food can make you sick under the right or wrong circumstances. I think we are all suffering from some form of a messed up stomach and some of us are worse off than others. I don't know anybody who has not come to the realization that some type of food bothers them now, that never used to bother them. People who have loved and enjoyed milk all their lives are now lactose intolerant. People like me who have eaten meat all of their lives w/ no problem now have problems with it. It's all very strange and frustrating. I don't know many people with IBS, but I do know many people that have sworn off certain foods that now make then sick. It all about the quality of the food that we are eating and what it is doing to us. Now we have message boards like this all over the Net with people suffering from the same things, trying to reach out to each other because we know something is wrong, but there is no supposed cure for what is wrong with us. This makes me so mad and really depressed!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I agree with mad and totally depressed. I always had C growing up. Then when I was in my early 30's I got to where everytime I ate out within 5 minutes I would have to go. So I just never eat out unless with my Hubby only and close to home. Sometimes having to go before we even left the restaurant or having to stop 2 times within a 10 minute ride home.I guess I was around 35 when I was at Disney World we ate a burger and by time I swallowed me last bite it was pouring out of me. NO warning, nothing. I since have lived in hell because of IBS-D. I hate this. I go no where unless I really med up, and sometimes that doesn't work either so I get periniod and have anxiety so it is better if I just stay home. I have had my share of accidents not making it, so I am better off in my own home.I really don't know why or how I got this. Never had food poisening, never been out of the states, never had any real illness to cause this. I only know life sucks when you have IBS-D. Hopefully soon they will find a cure and we can all live great normal lives.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.