Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,Over the holidays I ate anything and everything I wanted. I can't do that forever, obviously, so now that I am back at work I am eating better. My terrible gas is now back and I am feeling generally poor. Fat doesn't bother me, so it simply fibre? Lisa

·
Registered
67 Posts
What are the "good" foods that you are eating? If you are eating lots of fiber, veggies or fruit, you might want to cut them out for now. Perhaps you can "wean" yourself back onto them slowly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What are the "good" foods that you are eating? If you are eating lots of fiber, veggies or fruit, you might want to cut them out for now. Perhaps you can "wean" yourself back onto them slowly.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi lisa....
Sort of reminds of the the shock I hear so many times, like when people find out they are soy intolerant "I thought soy was supposed to be GOOD for you? How can it be reactive?"On [woman's] meat anothers' poison. What is good for you is very personalized and must be isolated accordingly to eliminate your symptoms.I know an immunologist who will go into anaphylactic shock if he eats an apple, but I thought an apple a day keeps the doctor away? In this case it brings the mortician instead.This book will explain everything for you in great detail:"FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 Take a look....its a good investment.MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi lisa....
Sort of reminds of the the shock I hear so many times, like when people find out they are soy intolerant "I thought soy was supposed to be GOOD for you? How can it be reactive?"On [woman's] meat anothers' poison. What is good for you is very personalized and must be isolated accordingly to eliminate your symptoms.I know an immunologist who will go into anaphylactic shock if he eats an apple, but I thought an apple a day keeps the doctor away? In this case it brings the mortician instead.This book will explain everything for you in great detail:"FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 Take a look....its a good investment.MNL

·
Registered
840 Posts
That's often the case with me too. I sometimes suspect it's to do with how relaxed I am - on holiday and therefore not under pressure ( ie - oh god, can't get off toilet and have to go to work etc etc.!!) I seem to be able to eat anything wiht few or no ill effects. Then I come back from holiday/return to work/whatever and wham - full blown ibs again! Also - I find I often have problems with "good" Food - eg - friut/ high fibre/low fat/unrefined stuff etc - my system appears unable to cope. Frankly I'm sick of all the "eat at least 5 portions of friut a day" advice. If I did that I'd never be off the toilet!!Sorry - that turned into a real whinge.hugsliz

·
Registered
840 Posts
That's often the case with me too. I sometimes suspect it's to do with how relaxed I am - on holiday and therefore not under pressure ( ie - oh god, can't get off toilet and have to go to work etc etc.!!) I seem to be able to eat anything wiht few or no ill effects. Then I come back from holiday/return to work/whatever and wham - full blown ibs again! Also - I find I often have problems with "good" Food - eg - friut/ high fibre/low fat/unrefined stuff etc - my system appears unable to cope. Frankly I'm sick of all the "eat at least 5 portions of friut a day" advice. If I did that I'd never be off the toilet!!Sorry - that turned into a real whinge.hugsliz

·
Registered
35 Posts
Okay Mike, You finally convinced me. I just ordered the Allergy book from Amazon.com. They should give you a percentage of the proceeds!
Better be worth it...just kidding. I'm looking forward to reading it, actually. I've always wandered about my allergies. Was allergic to milk and certain things as a kid with a spastic colon. But this thread really hit the nail on the head. I, until 6 months ago, was the one in the gym that women asked what I ate to stay in shape! You should see me now. I can barely run 4 miles because of gas and stomach pains, whereas I use to run up to 7. I've gained 11 pounds and am so depressed about it. It's hard to know what to eat now because of trying to lose weight. THe regular "diet foods" that I grew to love: rice cakes, sweet potatoes, protein bars, whole wheat bread and OATMEAL!!! are now just absolutely intolerable. It was easy for me to stay in shape before. I loved my food. Now, who knows what will set off this IBS curse and sometimes its nothing at all, isn't it? Do you all find that all of the sudden you can not tolerate a certain okay food that you could handle before? Today, mine was salad. Have eaten salads up a storm up until a couple of weeks ago. Had one today: stomach swelled up, horrible, constant gas, and gurgling. WIERD!! Does anyone know what that gurgling sound means?? Even though it is painful, it has me fascinated!! Take care all,peanuttfaceThanks again Mike for the book recommendation. Here's to hoping that it helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Okay Mike, You finally convinced me. I just ordered the Allergy book from Amazon.com. They should give you a percentage of the proceeds!
Better be worth it...just kidding. I'm looking forward to reading it, actually. I've always wandered about my allergies. Was allergic to milk and certain things as a kid with a spastic colon. But this thread really hit the nail on the head. I, until 6 months ago, was the one in the gym that women asked what I ate to stay in shape! You should see me now. I can barely run 4 miles because of gas and stomach pains, whereas I use to run up to 7. I've gained 11 pounds and am so depressed about it. It's hard to know what to eat now because of trying to lose weight. THe regular "diet foods" that I grew to love: rice cakes, sweet potatoes, protein bars, whole wheat bread and OATMEAL!!! are now just absolutely intolerable. It was easy for me to stay in shape before. I loved my food. Now, who knows what will set off this IBS curse and sometimes its nothing at all, isn't it? Do you all find that all of the sudden you can not tolerate a certain okay food that you could handle before? Today, mine was salad. Have eaten salads up a storm up until a couple of weeks ago. Had one today: stomach swelled up, horrible, constant gas, and gurgling. WIERD!! Does anyone know what that gurgling sound means?? Even though it is painful, it has me fascinated!! Take care all,peanuttfaceThanks again Mike for the book recommendation. Here's to hoping that it helps.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I seem to have this problem also. It seems like when I try to eat healthier my insides feel like they are being ripped out. But if I eat junk food I feel fine.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I seem to have this problem also. It seems like when I try to eat healthier my insides feel like they are being ripped out. But if I eat junk food I feel fine.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm C/D but mostly C. I can eat a cheeseburger with just ketchup but I can't tolerate most veggies. All the diet/healthy foods cause gas & terrible C for me. I've just given up trying to force down the traditionally healthy foods. I eat small portions of what I can eat and take plenty of vitamin suppliments to help make up what I'm missing.I also can't use fiber suppliments. I've tried several and they all cause horrible gas, bloating and C. It just isn't worth it. My system is FINALLY somewhat regulated and I'm NOT going to do anything to mess it up.P.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm C/D but mostly C. I can eat a cheeseburger with just ketchup but I can't tolerate most veggies. All the diet/healthy foods cause gas & terrible C for me. I've just given up trying to force down the traditionally healthy foods. I eat small portions of what I can eat and take plenty of vitamin suppliments to help make up what I'm missing.I also can't use fiber suppliments. I've tried several and they all cause horrible gas, bloating and C. It just isn't worth it. My system is FINALLY somewhat regulated and I'm NOT going to do anything to mess it up.P.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I know, it's weird. Maybe your body (and our bodies) have grown accustomed to "bad" food over the years and when you finally try stuffing only good food into it, it isn't used to it and rebells.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I know, it's weird. Maybe your body (and our bodies) have grown accustomed to "bad" food over the years and when you finally try stuffing only good food into it, it isn't used to it and rebells.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have read so much about how good bacteria (acidopholus) is good for IBS. Not me - it causes more diarrhea, gas and cramping. I get depressed sometimes because why does something work the opposite for me? Something that is suppose to be good for me makes things worse.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have read so much about how good bacteria (acidopholus) is good for IBS. Not me - it causes more diarrhea, gas and cramping. I get depressed sometimes because why does something work the opposite for me? Something that is suppose to be good for me makes things worse.

·
Registered
249 Posts
CathyPHow long did you use the acidolphilus? Read that when you first start, may get diarrhea, cramping, bloating and general aggravating of symptoms as bad bugs die-off and release chemicals. Supposed to be a die-off or Herkseimer? reaction. Suggested resolution was to cut back and start with a smaller dose and slowly build up to regular dose of probiotics to address problem without so much die-off. I have no technical background. Just thought I would pass it along. Seemed to work that way for me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
CathyPHow long did you use the acidolphilus? Read that when you first start, may get diarrhea, cramping, bloating and general aggravating of symptoms as bad bugs die-off and release chemicals. Supposed to be a die-off or Herkseimer? reaction. Suggested resolution was to cut back and start with a smaller dose and slowly build up to regular dose of probiotics to address problem without so much die-off. I have no technical background. Just thought I would pass it along. Seemed to work that way for me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is so interesting I have to add my 2 cents. I had always eaten healthy,high fiber cereal (like the grape nuts not the flakes,shredded wheat, lots of salads, fruit and nuts).Now I really have to watch high fiber although I can eat broccoli,raw carrots and a few things like that. I have to peel my apples and tomatoes, eat grapes at home because I have to spit out the peel,and much lower fiber cereals. Forget the salads as lettuce does a number on me.Onions have become a total no no! Any fiber supplements will do the same. I watch fat but I can eat cheese, spaghetti sauce,pizza with no problem.I still eat a few nuts but in moderation and had to give up any dishes with corn in them. Cornmeal doesn't bother me and I can eat steamed cabbage but not cole slaw. This really makes no sense does it? Wonder if I will ever figure it out?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts