Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here:

I'm a 17 year old male, who's had stomach related issues my whole life. When young, I was diagnosed with sensitivities (IGG?) to Wheat/Gluten, and Milk, and also Lactose Intolerance. I've been holding to this diet since then, but I've also had IBS-D for about 6 years now. Sunday, a week and a half ago, I had to rush home to the toilet, for 3 hours of severe cramps, and diarrhea. Since then, I've had random attacks, almost every other day, and when I'm not having an attack, I'm having diarrhea with minor cramping. Since then, I've been unable to go to school, quit my job, and cancel many extra curricular stuff. I've been taking Imodium, when I get diarrhea, and that seems to help a little, and I've been prescribed Levsin daily by my GI doctor. Nearing 2 weeks, and seeing no signs of improvement.

Anyone have any suggestions?

PS: been on very simple diet since it started, to try and avoid other stomach related issues from surfacing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, but I am doing research into as many different things, and will try and see what works. I guess no better way to know unless you've tried.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would recommend to you to try CBD oil and THC oil first.

And I would suggest trying to make your own CBD oil / THC oil

suppositories. Make them with cacoa butter.

I would bet it would help you. The CBD and THC cannabinoids bind

to cannabinoid receptors in the body. This reduces imflamation for many

many many health problems.

IMOP this should be tried, long before phrama drugs. The side effects are

like having a fruit fly bite you, as opposed to pharma drugs, more like a asian hornet

sting.

However it just treats the symptoms, and doesn't cure the problem.

GL

·
Registered
842 Posts
Will keep that in mind @Mark47

@PD85, yes. No luck.

Weeks later -- still fighting this....
Sorry to hear this! Have you been tested for parasites/infections by a doctor yet? Maybe you picked something up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@PD85

I am going for such tests later this week.

@chamois

It does stop the diarrhea, but not the pain :mad:

It's been a long few weeks... falling behind in school etc. I am seeing a new GI doctor this week, wonder if they have any insights.

·
Registered
33 Posts
look into heathers peppermint tea. very affordable and very effective.

its not like the peppermint oil or tea you get from the store. this one is specifically formulated for ppl with IBS.

very strong and the tea bags are big so you can brew multiple.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pity you. You shouldn't have suffered this as we have. Where the heck is God and isn't his self-claimed job to free men from sufferings?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi @rosenberg

Will try it out, thanks!

@Desert Fox

Apparently, not reading this forum.
sad.png

I'm free of any infections and such, so that's odd. Things are getting worse unfortunately. I did start working with another psychologist who says its from my mind, not quite sure. Bought a car and can't use it much -- really hoping I don't have to live the rest of my life like this...

·
Registered
894 Posts
I know what you are going through. When I have a major flair, I stop eating and take only homemade bone broth. For no less than a week. There's glutamine and other good stuff in it that soothes the gut and lets it heal itself. I drink maybe 2 quarts a day and never feel hungry. Do a little research on how to make it, or you can buy commercially made bone broth. Just don't by the fake stuff, made with msg and other chemicals. At the very least, drinking this broth lets me get up, go to work and have a day without diarrhea or cramping. If you try it, you can take some solid food along with the broth if you time it so any reaction willl occur when you're home and able to deal with it. My normal daily routing is get up, drink a cup of broth, go about my day (I pack it in 1 cup containers so I can heat and drink it at work) and have only broth until I get home for the day. Then I heat my broth with a sweet potato, carrot, or other easy to digest vegetable and maybe some cooked chicken or fish and eat that for supper. I have a bm every morning now, maybe a bit soft but not urgent or unstoppable and rarely have a cramp. This is worth a try, you'll know in a week or so if it's helping you. At the very least it will let your belly rest and recover. I"m not saying it's a cure but it gets me past a rough patch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi everyone,
The pain has continued to this date, and I still can't leave me house. For the first time as long as I can remember it now feels like IBS-C or possibly A, as I haven't had diarrhea in 2 weeks. The pain, however, continues to get worse, and I still can't go anyone outside my house, as I always get the sudden need to get to a toilet - where nothing happens.

I'm totally confused now, and as expected, the doctors don't have a clue. (I'm still on a extremely simple diet)

Well f***.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3 month update:
Endoscopy/Colonoscopy and Biopsies -- Normal

Blood tests for Limes, etc -- Negative

CT scan -- Normal

Diarrhea has returned

I am trying some anti-spasmatics and such, trying to find anything that will help.

I guess it really is IBS then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have similuar symptoms. However I am very gassy and have bloating. Pain in upper belly and strong urges to run and use the bathroom. It is very debilitating. I'm new to this mine has been on going for the last year. Looking for a new gastro doc. Last one said I was constipated but I am far from that. I'm looking into diets now to help with ibs and am going to start keeping a log. If anyone has any suggestions on what foods are good to eat and what to avoid that would be so great! I hope we can all get some relief soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Taking an anti-diarrheal and a Pepto Bismol tablet before I eat seems to help me. If I find that I'm getting constipated, I stop taking for a day or two, as long as I can stay home (just in case). They say stress can aggravate symptoms, but how can you not stress about having an "accident" when you're away from home?! I hope you find something that works for you!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another update, sorry for being absent.

After all these months, they decided to do a follow up scope. They found duodenum ulcers, cause unknown. Despite being on medication for a few weeks now, I still have some horrible pain moments, but no more diarrhea (knock on wood).

Not really sure where to go from here.

As for my diet, I'm still on simple rice, chicken, and carrots that my mother is cooking fresh for me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Another update, sorry for being absent.

After all these months, they decided to do a follow up scope. They found duodenum ulcers, cause unknown. Despite being on medication for a few weeks now, I still have some horrible pain moments, but no more diarrhea (knock on wood).
I don't know what the relationship as, but I feel like there's a relationship between upper GI issues (i.e., duodenal ulcers) and lower GI issues (i.e., IBS). I used to have major problems with duodenal ulcers [and tests for H. Pylori were negative]. Not long before more serious IBS problems started, I had to go to the hospital for sudden severe stomach pain with nausea and vomiting. It turned out that I had multiple ulcers which caused a partial blockage where the stomach empties.

Since then, I began to have worsening problems with IBS, but my upper GI issues reduced or went away. I didn't have another ulcer after that and eventually stopped taking acid reducers (proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec or H2 blockers like Zantac). Somehow there always seemed to be a weird relationship between the upper GI issues and the lower GI issues--it's almost as if whatever the underlying problem is, it migrated to the lower GI from the upper GI.

To some extent these issues also run in the family. My brother had severe ulcerative colitis and my father at least used to have severe acid reflux issues.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts