Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do when people just dont get IBS-D? And what if its your spouse?
I just feel like they think its either something Im faking or that I can have control over it.... Im just tired of not being supported....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Broken , go to the home page , scroll down, and click on " brochure " . This explains about IBS, to people that don't have it. Print out copies, and hand them out to people you know. I understand. Take care----S.G.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY! My boyfriend used to give me a hard time about my IBS-D all the time. He thought I was using it as an excuse to not go out with him. He felt angry and rejected because he was always going out without me and all of our friends would ask what the problem was or even in some extreme circumstances they would make fun of him & I saying that we weren't actually still together, just pretending to be. Unfortunately, because nothing like this had ever happened to him before he didn't understand. It was easier for him to get angry with me rather than admit that he didn't get it and then ask questions. I agree that the brochure would help a lot but make sure to sit your spouse down and have a long talk about what this is doing to you and what you are going through. We can't expect them to understand if we don't take the time to explain. We still have a few problems fromt ime to time but he is growing more and more understanding of my situation. I always make sure to tell him how I am feeling and make sure he knows that my not wanting to go anywhere has NOTHING to do with him personally. Plus, I try to make the effort from time to time to get out with him and show him that I am trying . . . this always means a lot to him even if it's only for a little while.Hopefully that helps ... you are not alone.

·
Registered
482 Posts
well i told my boyfriend when we were friends before we even got together, to try to prevent him thinking it was an excuse. hes very understanding i explained to him best i could and set him some website to look at and i book i had, after that he knows when im ill, he notices changes in my appearance before me sometimes... whereever we are i know if im ill we can go if i feel ill no questions asked
just get as much info as you can and let them see it... sometimes its hard for those that dont understand to truly know what we go through
good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.