Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My symptoms have been unbearable for weeks. I can't sleep because the pain is so bad. I'm doing everything I can. I can't eat, can't sleep, can't function. Went to the doctor the day before yesterday and I'm taking everything she prescribed, but it's all just getting worse. She's closed for the weekend.My pain is so severe that I am thinking about going to the emergency room. But to what end? I don't want to just get loaded up on narcotics, which is probably what they'll do. So it probably wouldn't even be worth going, would it? My stomach is making all kinds of crazy noises and my poop is full of mucus. I've had several BMs that were nothing but mucus. I'm finally getting relief from constipation, which was the original cause of all this, but the pain is continuing to worsen.I feel like I'm going to DIE.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well if you won't take the narcotics and the pain isn't doing something that seems like a medical emergency then there isn't much reason to sit in the ER waiting room miserable for several hours for nothing.I think the doc would have noticed if the pain was doing something typical of gallbladdder or appendix problems so unless the pain starts doing something different or more severe there may not be much point.Not sure what meds they have you, but antidepressants generally are not something that works right away. You may need to take them for a few weeks to see a big difference. Antispasmodics only work for some people but tend to be more immediate. However, sometimes they are better taken before the pain is bad than waiting as long as possible to take them. If you get more pain after meals taking them before meals (20-30 minutes) will let them get in place before the pain gets bad.Are you doing any relaxation techniques? Sometimes those can help keep things on a more even keel so the meds can start to work (getting worked up emotionally never makes pain better, so if you tend to a bit of worry over the pain that isn't helping).Pain, mucus, constipation, and noises are all typical of IBS, so not really an ER visit kind of thing. If you start with a fever, vomiting, or the pain really spikes in the lower right by the hip (especially if the pain is better when you press but rebounds to excruciating when you let go) or is under the right ribs with vomiting/nausea then I'd go to the ER. Otherwise try to relax and do something that calms you over the weekend.You can also check with your pharmacists as a lot of those are open over the weekend to see if they can comment on if the meds could be making you much worse, or you just are having a spell of bad luck and need to ride it out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Kathleen,Thanks for your help, as usual.My doctor didn't seem to think I was having gallbladder problems. Almost all the pain is on the upper left side, not the right. I think a lot of this is caused by worsened anxiety and insomnia; I haven't been able to sleep more than fifteen minutes at a time for like a week. I've had a prescription for Bentyl for several months, but I don't really take it because it doesn't seem to work for me at all. I can't tell any difference. It does make me really tired and groggy.I take Buspar 5 mg for anxiety but I don't take antidepressants. I react poorly to SSRIs; they make me anxious as all get-out.So I guess they couldn't/wouldn't do much in the emergency room.I'm trying hard to relax but can't. I've tried hot bubble baths and music and walks. None of it helps. :(I can't get my heart rate below 120 because I'm so anxious and under-rested.I keep thinking I have colon cancer. I know that's stupid. And I know that they wouldn't be able to diagnose it in the E.R. anyway.Maybe what I really need is emergency treatment for anxiety, not IBS. I haven't been able to sleep all night; I've spent the last several hours Googling different symptoms of serious colon problems. Obsessing about horror stories from young women my age who have developed colon cancer. If I'd had colon cancer for 2-3 years with severe pain, I would have died months ago. I know that. I just can't get the fear out of my head. I'd probably do better if I could just sleep.But I don't think they treat anxiety on an emergency basis unless you're suicidal or something. (I'm not.)I'm having to emergency-wean my daughter to make room for more around-the-clock medications. That's making things much harder because I've got an awful hormonal crash to accompany everything else.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
That you can't get your heart rate down for the anxiety may be worth getting seen at the ER for if you can't wait until Monday to talk to the doctor again.The lack of sleep (and I dunno if they will do something for that) isn't helping nor is the constant dread. Getting more treatment for the anxiety and treating the insomnia at least for awhile sounds like a good plan.Most hospitals have a triage nurse. You could see if you can speak to someone at the hospital about the anxiety issues and insomnia and see if that is something they (or an urgent care center if you have them there as they are usually cheaper with better wait times) can do. If you can tolerate Benedryl that may help make you sleepy at bedtime and there are a couple of natural remedies: Melatonin which is the go to sleep signal and Valarian Root which can make people drowsy. Chamomile (and if you can find a tea with Oat Straw that adds to it) can also help some people relax to go to sleep.

·
Registered
391 Posts
@WonkyColon - so sorry to hear you are suffering at the moment. It really sounds as if a lot of your trouble is caused by sheer anxiety about your condition, and maybe you should ask for a colonoscopy, if only to put your mind at rest.If it's any consolation, I've had cancer, Stage III, and was given a slim chance of recovery, and I had virtually undetectable symptoms, and my condition was only diagnosed almost by accident by my GP's locum. Even she had been unable to find anything wrong, and sent me for tests. I had no pain whatsoever, and no bowel changes. This ibs that I've got now is overwhelming in it's symptoms, very different from the cancer.All the best, keep smiling.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate the support.Kathleen: My heart rate's now down below 100 (it's like 95), and that's almost normal-ish for me. I managed to take a short nap earlier. Benadryl and Valerian both make me wired and anxious. I think I've got weird biology. The pain is still really severe. Some of what I've been pooping-- the stuff I thought was mucus-- might actually be worms. If I can get my doc to dx and treat that, I'd be really relieved. That's a curable condition. But then, it may just be mucus. Peaches-- I'm SO sorry to hear that you had cancer, but I'm very glad to know that you beat it. Mind if I ask how old you were when you were diagnosed? I'm only 23 and I've had IBS-like symptoms for about 2-3 years. My blood count is normal-- was yours when you had cancer? My fecal occult blood tests are negative, too, and "regular" (non-barium) X-rays are normal except for showing lots of gas and distension.I'd love to get a colonoscopy, but I don't have insurance. My doc said she'd see about arranging a discounted one if my symptoms keep getting worse, but she really doesn't think this is cancer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am so very sorry you are going through this. I have found, in general, that ER's are a total waste of time unless you're bleeding out.However, I must say that the last time they did do a colon ct scan and found diffuse swelling. and then they said go see your gastro. who put me on antibiotics and probiotics.i have learned that relaxation techniques and often just sitting up at night by myself help.I wish i could offer more support. I've been doing through for most of my life and I'm now 61.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts