Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say you eat some food and think it might cause D. When is the best time to take Imodium to prevent D? Before or after you ate it? And 1 hour before/after? Or 2 hours? Or 4 hours?

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you know you will get D by eating a certain food i'd suggest taking the Immodium before eating it. How much before and how many immodium will depend on the situation, some people need more, some people need less. I'd suggest atleast an hour or 2 before eating the D causing food. So that way the immodium has time to work. BUt you might have to do some experimenting on the amount of pills it will take to stop your D.

·
Registered
214 Posts
quote:Originally posted by suffering:Thanks guys, I will try that! I would have guessed you should take it afterwards (that's what I've been doing), but you guys sound like you've experimented with this before!
No.. no.. no.. Imodium takes time to work. I would say if you are going out for dinner take two at lunchtime and one an hour before you eat. I also find advanced works better.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Suffering, you have to find what works best for you through trial and error. Everyone is different. I, for instance, have taken imodium for 19 years on a daily basis and If I took 2 at lunch, then another right before eating, I probably would not have a BM for days. For others 3 in this short period of time may not be enough. It's also important to add fiber, if possible, to maintain regularity. This is Especially important for us daily imodium users.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About the Imodium Advanced... the only thing different between that and the regular Imodium is that it has an ingredient to prevent gas. They both have the same amount of the ingredient that stops D. But I've tried it anyways, and I think it actually increases my gas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.