Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, my brother has a brain tumor. Much of it was removed 2 years ago. Initially all seemed well. Slowly, a few weeks, abdominal pain started creeping in. Mike had problems with IB prior to this. He's been tested and retested by GI doc.s had multiple MRI's to ensure the tumor is not growing and tried many, many medications.We're convinced at this stage that if he's going to find some pain relief some knowledgeable and committed GI professional is going to have to take him on and stick it out.Our experience to date has been that doctors care and take and interest but when they can't find a solution and be successful the say 'sorry, I've done all I can'. Mike is in Mass. but if it's worth while he'll travel to where he can find helpI'm looking for any and all input here, please share anything you think might help.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Since it is the least intrusive and has had a great record of success, why not try Mike's Tapes? It's a hypnotherapy program on CD. There are a whole bunch of people who have contributed to a thread re "Mike Mahoney". Kathy M, eric, or cookies4marilyn will all help.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I got fed up with average GI docs that were pretty much how you described them. I decided that in order to get the best care I could, I needed to go to a major metropolitan medical center. Here are three of the best in the US (there are probably others as well):UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/ Mayo Clinic Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology http://www.mayoclinic.org/gi-rst/ Boston Medical Center - Center for Digestive Disorders http://www.bmc.org/digestivedisorders/index.html I live near Boston and just started to see a new G I doc at BMC. No miracle cure but better care than I've recieved in the past. Unfortunately, it may take months before you can get an appointment.Good luck!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
xTimx Was the tumor any where around the Anterior Cinculate Cortex, do you know?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I've been going to the same Dr at Boston Medical Center as Roger. She has recently spent 2 yrs at UNC's center and had a reputation there for helping patients who were difficult to diagnose and treat. I would say that even though nothing has drastically changed,I feel like she is willing to work with me,for me. Other gastros I have seen out in the suburbs IMO are more into giving scopes, handing out antispasmodics and basically telling you to live with it.I had some health issues a few years ago that were some what of a mystery. I was cared for at BMC, saw tons of docs from all different depts (gastro, endocrinology, surgery, etc). They love a mystery, thrive on filling in the pieces of a puzzle (I know this because my husband is a nurse who works there) They did figure things out, fixed a few things and told me that now I'm "boring" which is a good thing
There's also another gasto at BMC who I had been seeing for a few years who in my experience is wonderful. His area of special interest is inflammatory bowel disease but he knew/knows more about IBS and how I could manage it than any of the other doc's I had ever seen.I'd be happy to e-mail or pm you the dr's names if you'd like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.