Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,709 Posts
ON THE BEACH....I hate to oversimplify but, besides of course the types of dietary intake control I always talk about, this anticipatory response vis a vis social contacts etc is natural and under normal conditions amounts to little consequence.Patients with chronic digestive dysfunction like IBS victims, as you know, can suffer the consequences of "amplification" of the physiologic reactions which follow...then we learn new anticapatory response patterns and behaviors which can perisist even after we find things in the diet that provoke the reactions that produce symptoms and avoid them.The usefulness of CBT and hypnotherapy techniques to assist us in basically unlearning such behaviors is wel established and which method you choose is as much a matter of patient preference as anything else (which are you likely to actually follow the protocols for....that is the method you should use as it only works if you use it).You could try a relatively inexpensive stress/anxiety management program for IBS victims that was developed jointly by a doctor of psychology and a well knwon board certified GI doc (Dr. Lipsitz and Dr. Weinstock) that we have had reports of success with from some of our patients who exprience this (and other) such behaviors. I have them here, too, but you can just go to www.ibstherapy.com and look it over and decide if you want to try this inexpensive CD program they developed.It may be all you need to get past this part of your problem.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

· Registered
6,709 Posts
ON THE BEACH....I hate to oversimplify but, besides of course the types of dietary intake control I always talk about, this anticipatory response vis a vis social contacts etc is natural and under normal conditions amounts to little consequence.Patients with chronic digestive dysfunction like IBS victims, as you know, can suffer the consequences of "amplification" of the physiologic reactions which follow...then we learn new anticapatory response patterns and behaviors which can perisist even after we find things in the diet that provoke the reactions that produce symptoms and avoid them.The usefulness of CBT and hypnotherapy techniques to assist us in basically unlearning such behaviors is wel established and which method you choose is as much a matter of patient preference as anything else (which are you likely to actually follow the protocols for....that is the method you should use as it only works if you use it).You could try a relatively inexpensive stress/anxiety management program for IBS victims that was developed jointly by a doctor of psychology and a well knwon board certified GI doc (Dr. Lipsitz and Dr. Weinstock) that we have had reports of success with from some of our patients who exprience this (and other) such behaviors. I have them here, too, but you can just go to www.ibstherapy.com and look it over and decide if you want to try this inexpensive CD program they developed.It may be all you need to get past this part of your problem.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.