Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still vividly remember the day my IBS(d) started. 23 years ago on an end of year school excursion (I am now 36). I have had it ever since to varying degrees. I wasn't to realise at the time the significance of the event. There was nothing extraordinary in the excursion - just a train ride out to the country for the day. Do others have similar stories as to how it all began for them?

·
Registered
109 Posts
It is interesting the age you talk about as at the time I did not realise it but at that age most mornings I had an upset stomach - put it down to nerves of going to school - anyway as I have got older things have got worse. What I wonder is if the body can cope with a food intollerance better at a younger age and as you get older and you are developing less it gets less able to cope?Don't know really - just a thought.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It is interesting the age you talk about as at the time I did not realise it but at that age most mornings I had an upset stomach - put it down to nerves of going to school - anyway as I have got older things have got worse. What I wonder is if the body can cope with a food intollerance better at a younger age and as you get older and you are developing less it gets less able to cope?Don't know really - just a thought.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tricky, what you describe is me to a tee. Throughout primary (elementary) school there was not a problem and throughout secondary school it was just a morning thing (the morning one hour bus ride to school was an interesting experience - fortunately it consisted of two buses so the ride was broken in the middle). Since then it has become progressively worse although I have travelled to some dodgy countries like in Africa and India where I had bouts of bacillary and amoebic dysentery - no doubt these made the IBS complete. Oh to be one of those people with "cast iron guts".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tricky, what you describe is me to a tee. Throughout primary (elementary) school there was not a problem and throughout secondary school it was just a morning thing (the morning one hour bus ride to school was an interesting experience - fortunately it consisted of two buses so the ride was broken in the middle). Since then it has become progressively worse although I have travelled to some dodgy countries like in Africa and India where I had bouts of bacillary and amoebic dysentery - no doubt these made the IBS complete. Oh to be one of those people with "cast iron guts".

·
Registered
45 Posts
WinnieHad a brilliant trip to Paris arranged to watch Leicester in the European Cup Final. Got to Paris late the night before and in the morning found I couldn't go to the match, suffering from my first attack and the anxiety of going to the match and not being sure how I would cope. I did see the match on the telly in my room and managed to see the replays my friends missed in the stadium. They say every cloud has a silver lining.It has taken some 7 months to diagnose the problem since then, finally being told 29th of December.

·
Registered
45 Posts
WinnieHad a brilliant trip to Paris arranged to watch Leicester in the European Cup Final. Got to Paris late the night before and in the morning found I couldn't go to the match, suffering from my first attack and the anxiety of going to the match and not being sure how I would cope. I did see the match on the telly in my room and managed to see the replays my friends missed in the stadium. They say every cloud has a silver lining.It has taken some 7 months to diagnose the problem since then, finally being told 29th of December.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Oh yes I remember. How can I ever forget. My husband and I went on a trip to Disneyland. It was an 8 hour car ride. I was anxious about the trip and had D a few times down. Luckily I always got to the bathroom on time. Once in the hotel that night I was up in the bathroom till sunrise! Seemed like after that night things never were the same.Slowly after that I continued to get D. Here and there, especially right after I ate dinner. Two years after that trip was when it got REALLY bad. It's weird how it slowly crept up on me. That was almost 5 years ago now. I was 18 years old when it first started.Jennifer

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Oh yes I remember. How can I ever forget. My husband and I went on a trip to Disneyland. It was an 8 hour car ride. I was anxious about the trip and had D a few times down. Luckily I always got to the bathroom on time. Once in the hotel that night I was up in the bathroom till sunrise! Seemed like after that night things never were the same.Slowly after that I continued to get D. Here and there, especially right after I ate dinner. Two years after that trip was when it got REALLY bad. It's weird how it slowly crept up on me. That was almost 5 years ago now. I was 18 years old when it first started.Jennifer

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine started when I was 12 years old. Just woke up one morning and started to "fart". Continued all day long. Still have the problem at age 44. The only time I have had relief was when I was pregnant with morning sickness. With morning sickness I was nausua all day long. However NO IBS-CG. It was the best time of my life.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine started when I was 12 years old. Just woke up one morning and started to "fart". Continued all day long. Still have the problem at age 44. The only time I have had relief was when I was pregnant with morning sickness. With morning sickness I was nausua all day long. However NO IBS-CG. It was the best time of my life.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.