Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I've posted about this before... when is enough enough of trying to work and handle these symptoms? I currently work full time but have been getting worse over the years especially past year. The main symptoms that effect my work life is severe constant nausea, vomiting and incontinence. These are daily events and makes working alot harder than it should be.
My question is, for those of you who are no longer working because of illnesd, where did you start? I just don't see how I can financially survive without working. Any advice is welcomed :) thank youuu.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey there, i work in a warehouse, and for the 1st 4 weeks i was late every day because i was going to the toilet and couldnt leave the house, i changed my travel plans and get the earlier train with my partner and ive got to work on time everyday. i hate places such as stations i hate being around alot of people and i always feel like i need to go to the loo and i wouldnt want that for anyone, especially when theres no toilets at certain stations, my manager dosent understand what im going through. i still get symptoms like going to the toilet in the mornings, and headaches, and feeling sick and pains in my side.

i have eaten healthier aswell which has helped abit, but not knowing the actual reason why it happens dosent help.

my manager did say he wouldnt have employed me if he knew about my condition.

i wouldnt like to think im unemployable because of my condition because our condition will flare up at any time. im still on probation and have no idea if there going to keep me on

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So sorry to hear rhat, sporty. Especially with your boss saying that he wouldn't have hired you if he knew.. what an ass! I think it's important we find jobs where we can make money, yet still not be constantly in a state of worry - it's no way to live. I've looked into disability but with so many people getting turned down I feel like it's a waste of time and additional stress. I'm currently on vacation - no stress yet am sitting here on the verge of vomiting for no apparent reason. Like they say, it's like having the flu 24/f-ing 7. Who could proactively work like that everyday? Not your manager I'm guessing!

·
Registered
403 Posts
marleyma,

• what's your insurance situation?
  • what's your company like w.r.t. health issues?
  • what's your immediate boss(es) like? are they compassionate?
  • once you're at work and not puking, are you effective?
  • what illness(es) do you have - actually puking is not typical for IBS (but nausea can be)

My situation affords me to work from home when I'm really bad and I have an understanding boss. Even with those advantages, keeping down a job is really, really hard.

Pete

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi twonk, thank you for your reply. Insurance wise, I have a good plan through Obama care. I am a nanny so not typical desk work. It gives me the freedom to use the bathroom when needed but I am running the kids all around.. lots of activity. I am nauseous ALL the time, random boughts of vomiting out of nowhere. I am not typical ibs. I was diagnosed with it 8 years ago but have since been diagnosed with gastroparesis, recurrent rectal prolapse and possible pelvic floor dysfunction. This brings on fecal incontinence and lots of other fun stuff. My bosses know somewhat my health issues (I had to take off over a month for a surgery last year for prolapse) but I don't tell them everything. I worry because my only experience is with kids, and as great as my job is, some things just become impossible when I feel so awful.

·
Registered
403 Posts
marleyma,

it sounds to me like you need further tests done and maybe even an exploratory procedure. For example I got x-rays, ct scans and a colonoscopy recently and they all came back clean. However I had an appendectomy yesterday and they saw that my appendix was stuck to my colon. Sometimes you just have to get in there!

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.