Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with IBS about 4 years ago, but I've had the symptoms over 6. I have been on a bunch of medications including anti-spasmatics, anti-anxiety, and antidepressants. Nothing has worked. I got these medications about 4 years ago, and went completely off medication about 2 years ago. Now my IBs has flared up hardcore right now and I need some help. I think that a new medication or something more powerful will be needed to make me feel beter. My head is constantly worrying and racing and I need something to stop this viscous cycle. What kind of doctor do I need to go to for medication? Where can I find on in Connecticut? Do you know of any good medications or treatments that have come about in the last year, that might be helpful? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
336 Posts
Matt, I'm sorry you're in a "flare-up" right now -- they can be incredibly mentally and emotionally draining (at least for me they are). If there's any way you can get yourself to stop thinking about it, it will help you out a bit -- i'm not in any way trivializing what you are going thru because i've been there myself. But if you are "constantly worrying and racing" with ideas about only your IBS, the stress will aggravate things further. That said, if you need a new doctor call your regular doctor and ask him/her to refer a GI - they should be able to do this over the phone so you don't need an appointment with your family doctor. I don't know what all you have tried - - in terms of new drugs specifically for IBS, unless you are a woman you may have a hard time getting ahold of them (they weren't FDA approved really for men but i know that some have managed to get them). If you're looking for anxiety/antidepressant drugs you may want to see if your insurance would cover a therapist of some sort. If you call the number on the back of your insurance card, the people there should be able to give you names of doctors that you can see.Very few IBSers are helped by a "miracle pill" - so it may take a while trying any one thing to get your body to relax and accept it. If the meds aren't working there are always Mike's tapes.Good luckkac

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.