Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I am about to go and see my GP because anti-spasmodic don't do me any good, and I wanted to ask her about 5-HT3 antagonist but I don't know which one(s) are available in the UK??Thanks,Claire.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Claire,It's unfortunate that no other UKers submitted an answer to you, and not being from UK I can only suggest the following: take the names of the 5-HT3 drugs listed on this forum to your local pharamacist. They will be able to let you know which drugs are available, as ultimately they have to dispense the drug!Cheers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I went to my GP yesterday and she is quite reluctant to prescribe that to me anyway... She gave me a prescription for lomotil instead but I am not sure about it...
Claire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have read a lot of good things about it, but I also read that some people get even worse diarrhea the day after (something I got with immodium), so I am not completely sure. Plus my GP gave me a prescription for only 20, and that's gonna cost me £6.50, so that's over 30p per pill, and I am supposed to take like 2 or 4 a day - it's gonna cost me a fortune...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think the even worse diarrhea thing is if you get too much and it backs you up too much. If that happens try cutting the dose back till you find the minimum that slows the diarrhea down, but doesn't slow you down so much the body wants to send loose stools through to flush you you.K.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, I use Lomotil. I use it as needed. If I have more than two normal BM a day or an attack. I take one at a time and for the most part never need more than two. My gastro does not recommend it used as a daily drug because it is chemically related to narcotics and can be habit forming and an overdose could be fatal. He wants me to try the Lotronex and I am just about sick of being sick and may try it soon. Forgot to mention the lomotil makes you sleepy. Hope this helps. Lisa

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your feedback, I might buy it and keep it just in case then... I am still thinking of trying Mike's hypnotherapy CD as a long term solution!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts