Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all, I am a new member, long time IBS sufferer. I was "officially" diagnosed with IBS when I was 14 (I'm 29 now). I was also "officially" diagnosed with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) when I was about 20, though I exhibited OCD symptoms even as a child.My ongoing debate with myself is... did my IBS cause my OCD or did my OCD cause my IBS? I can remember being obsessed with the bathroom even as a child, always worrying "What if I have to go?" I would spend hours in the bathroom forcing myself to have a BM so that I wouldn't have to have one later on. Was it because of that behavior that my bowels eventually became so moody? Or was it because I always had to go that I began to fear having to go all the time? See, it could have gone either way.Regardless of how it began, the fact remains that I have IBS and OCD, and the two fuel each other all the time. For the record, my OCD manifests itself in other ways than just obsessing about the bathroom. I'm a severe germophobe hand-washer type, pull out my hair, have to do things a certain number of times, etc.Nice to meet you all.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Laura, and welcome to the Board. I'm sorry to hear you have both IBS and OCD. As you say, they probably feed off each other.I don't know enough about OCD to even begin to guess which one would come first. If you're in therapy you could ask your therapist what they think.Anyway, I just wanted to say it's good to have you here.JeanG

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
LAURA:I think you probably know the answer to your question as it lies in your well-described history: ________________________________________"I can remember being obsessed with the bathroom even as a child, always worrying "What if I have to go?" ....etc" _________________________________________The history suggests strongly that you would benefit from behavioral therapy or hypnotherapy, either, directed at these behaviors and the self-fulfillment that can be created, if you were NOT a sufferer of OCD. That being said I am ssuming you are in therapy already so the thing speaks for itself.The CBT/HT Forum would be the place to gain shared experience from others about this, and if you do not have access to a therapist skilled in the behaviral techniques associated with also remediating the "gut related" behaviors, an HT program might be an effective ADJUNCT to your behavioral therapy.In any event it is less important to dwell on the question than what the probable corret answer is.Discuss this with your therapist or physician, and the staff on the CBT/HT Board can provide references for you re: the outcomes of HT, so as to assure them of its efficacy in such cases.Good luck...I had a very very close friend who was able to overcome what you are struggling with so do not lose heart!
MNL

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey Laura...I have both OCD and IBS, and I do believe they are related. I had my IBS first and then my OCD tendencies about cleanliness skyrocketed after a few years of always being in the bathroom, messy D etc. I believe there is some link to seritonin, nerve receptors etc. When I have bad days of IBS D I worry more about cleanliness...but if I'm ever fortunate enough to have a good day I definitely don't obsess at at all. They do feed of each other, but I believe there is an actual physical connection. Paxil helped me with both but it knocked me out so much I had to wean off it. With help from a phycologist and the paxil (initially) I currently have my OCD at a manageable level...wish I could say the same for the IBS.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I agree with what Mike said. "In any event it is less important to dwell on the question than what the probable correct answer is. Discuss this with your therapist or physician, and the staff on the CBT/HT Board can provide references for you re: the outcomes of HT, so as to assure them of its efficacy in such cases."I have IBS and OCD and most of my OCD came after IBS. However I had some signs of OCD since childhood. I don�t think the two are related but OCD sure feeds on IBS!!! I have not used the above suggestions but feel they may really work. I wish I had tried Behavior Modification at an earlier age when the OCD got entangled with IBS!My OCD is controlled with a high dose of Prozac and IBS by fiber and diet. I'm 60 years old and suggest you do something NOW about the OCD as it relates to IBS in particular.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.