Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing FODMAP challenges recently after following elimination diet for a while. I've found that I'm fine with fructans (I actually feel better when eating large amounts of some high-fructan foods, like wheat, than I do on pure low-FODMAP diet) but fructose and mannitol both gave me bad diarrhea. Sorbitol I passed the blackberry test but was very surprised by that, as I'm sure I've reacted to sorbitol as a food additive before, so I'm going to test again with a different sorbitol-containing food. GOS caused no major issues but I'd like to experiment more as my pre-FODMAP diet was very heavy on beans and lentils, so I want to see if I can get back to the large servings I used to eat.

TL;DR - triggers are fructose and mannitol (and possibly sorbitol?)

Is this common for IBS-D? Are some FODMAPs more likely to cause diarrhea and others gas/bloating/constipation? I did pass a little more gas after eating fructans but it wasn't bothersome in any way (odourless, passed easily) so I didn't regard it as a test fail. Just wondering, as it would be helpful to have an idea of which FODMAPs you might react to based on your IBS symptoms.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I haven't analyzed exactly which particular Fodmap makes me worse. But I can't handle many beans, lentils etc. And I have a problem with anything "onion-y" even green parts of leeks, which are Low Fodmap!

Fruits, including green-ish bananas, give me a hard time. But I can eat broccoli!
I am going to experiment with blueberries again but the last time I ate them I had diarrhea next day.
I have just been keeping away from fruit for a few weeks now and feeling a bit better generally.

I am okay with sweet things, chocolate, cake. I am also fine with gluten (toasted bread) No problem at all, except I can't cope with artificial sweeteners. I prefer sugar. Sugar never upsets me. Honey (high Fodmap!) gives me no problems either.

In my case it seems to be high fiber which upsets me. Potato skins etc.
I have never (at least since March 7 2020) been able to eat many beans and lentils. But I can happily eat peeled chickpeas (garbanzos) canned, I only eat 1/3 of a can max. Usually less.

I pass gas but can't relate it to food at all. Last night I ate broccoli which normally suits me. I had the most awful gas in the night and it even hurt with awful lower gut spasms which kept waking me up. Today I felt fine, ate broccoli again, and had no issues at all!

The gas I pass is completely odorless too. Just like lots of "air". I can't imagine where it all comes from!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts