Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I posted this over on the Lotronex board, but thought I might get more response over here.I've been reading a bunch of posts here & on the main IBS board about all different kinds of anti-anxiety/depression medication, ones that are closest to Lotronex - Remeron, Zofran, Xanax, etc.Here's my symptoms, I'm hoping someone has the same and has tried something that's worked! I used Lotronex, and it was Great for me, absolutely No Problems whatsoever. It started working for me right away. And, I only had to take 1/2 a pill every other day. When I first got IBS many years ago, I used to be D, and on the thin side. Now, in the last 2-3 years or so, I've gained unwanted weight, I'm more inconsistent, not really D (only have that once in awhile) and rarely ever C. But, I do have a lot of fear of going places far, or with only 1 or 2 toilets, etc. Not really an axiety attack, but I worry about it and the fear of something happening prevents me from going places & doing things.Immodium is great to stop attacks after they start, and it works pretty quick for me, but what was great about Lotronex is that it was Preventative, consistently.So I'm looking to see which medication I can ask my gastro doctor for specifically. I'd like to just be more "normal" (I know, wouldn't everyone here), as in regualar BM's on a daily basis, and not have the fear/concern of something happening unexpectedly. I've read that Remeron is pretty close/good, but that it cause either weight gain or increased appetite - I definitely don't want either of that!Then I've read about Zofron, but on the webmd.com, it says it's mostly for Nausea.Also, I tend to be on the lazy/tired side lately, so anything with a side effect of drowsiness, I don't want either. So what is all of your suggestions?Thanx!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi. ALthough I've never taken Lotronex I would recommend Remeron. You can probably get round the weight gain by watching what you eat. Don't eat extra because you are hungry, and if you have to, eat veggies, fruit etc if you can to snack on. Eat low fat and you may well be okay. If you do put on a litle weight, it may be worth it if the IBS gets better. Weight gain is normally seen in the first 6 weeks of treatment with Remeron, thereafter it stabilises. Please not that that info is based on treatment for depression - you may need a lower dose than that. Sorry, I don't know about the other medications you mentioned. Hypnotherapy may be helpful for you too.------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi. ALthough I've never taken Lotronex I would recommend Remeron. You can probably get round the weight gain by watching what you eat. Don't eat extra because you are hungry, and if you have to, eat veggies, fruit etc if you can to snack on. Eat low fat and you may well be okay. If you do put on a litle weight, it may be worth it if the IBS gets better. Weight gain is normally seen in the first 6 weeks of treatment with Remeron, thereafter it stabilises. Please not that that info is based on treatment for depression - you may need a lower dose than that. Sorry, I don't know about the other medications you mentioned. Hypnotherapy may be helpful for you too.------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
179 Posts
VegasCinny-- I was on lotronex from 3/2000 to 6/2001. Still had a stash after it was pulled. My gastro prescribed zofran from 11/2000 until lotronex was available in March 2000. The gastro was Dr. Michael Camilleri at Mayo, and he knows what's going on as he was doing level 3 FDA tests on lotronex. He said zofran was asecond cousin. I have not had any experience with remeron, but the BB responses indicate weight gain, blood pressure problems, and sleepiness. I take 1/2 pill of zofran per day in the evening and it works like lotronex to prevent the IBS-D, if that is what you are looking for. It is expensive-- about $28 per pill, and not covered by insurance, unless you are doing chemotherapy which is what it was manufactured for. Bill

·
Registered
179 Posts
VegasCinny-- I was on lotronex from 3/2000 to 6/2001. Still had a stash after it was pulled. My gastro prescribed zofran from 11/2000 until lotronex was available in March 2000. The gastro was Dr. Michael Camilleri at Mayo, and he knows what's going on as he was doing level 3 FDA tests on lotronex. He said zofran was asecond cousin. I have not had any experience with remeron, but the BB responses indicate weight gain, blood pressure problems, and sleepiness. I take 1/2 pill of zofran per day in the evening and it works like lotronex to prevent the IBS-D, if that is what you are looking for. It is expensive-- about $28 per pill, and not covered by insurance, unless you are doing chemotherapy which is what it was manufactured for. Bill

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Nausea is the approved use for Zofran.It is a Setron. Remeron and Lotronex (alosetron) are also setrons.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Nausea is the approved use for Zofran.It is a Setron. Remeron and Lotronex (alosetron) are also setrons.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.