Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks... I'm switching from Culturelle, which did not help me at all to some other probiotic but have not decided so far which one to use. Maybe you could recommend some good probiotic? Please if you are somehow commercially involced in something better do not recommend anything, cause I'm dealing with my health!Thanks

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I am taking cultrelle, have been since I had to take antibiotics around 6 weeks ago. I don't know if it is doing anything for me, I'm not even sure what it is supposed to do. It has kept me from getting bad D (I guess) and I'm almost afraid to not take it. What will a different brand/formula do?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I am taking cultrelle, have been since I had to take antibiotics around 6 weeks ago. I don't know if it is doing anything for me, I'm not even sure what it is supposed to do. It has kept me from getting bad D (I guess) and I'm almost afraid to not take it. What will a different brand/formula do?

·
Registered
601 Posts
PB8, the site is nutritionnow.com. It's acidopholus and others too long for me to type. I got it at Mrs. Green's Health food store. I find I haven't had D since I started taking it unless I ate something messed up or have severe anxiety.

·
Registered
601 Posts
PB8, the site is nutritionnow.com. It's acidopholus and others too long for me to type. I got it at Mrs. Green's Health food store. I find I haven't had D since I started taking it unless I ate something messed up or have severe anxiety.

·
Registered
461 Posts
After trying several probiotics, I've settled on kefir. I drink at least one glass a day. I like the taste and nutritional value that it adds to my diet and the probiotic content is just an added plus.If you decide to try kefir, read the labels carefully. Some brands sweeten it with high fructose corn syrup and others use questionable ingredients like FOS (fructo oligosaccharides).It's good stuff.

·
Registered
461 Posts
After trying several probiotics, I've settled on kefir. I drink at least one glass a day. I like the taste and nutritional value that it adds to my diet and the probiotic content is just an added plus.If you decide to try kefir, read the labels carefully. Some brands sweeten it with high fructose corn syrup and others use questionable ingredients like FOS (fructo oligosaccharides).It's good stuff.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Roger, I've been thinking of making kefir. Have the grains & all. (it's not sold down here) Have you seen any benefits?I started on metagenic brand's lactoviden & bifoviden yesterday. Will report if better than kyo dophilus.Will still take DA-IBS, helps with food reactivity, via transient probiotics.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Roger, I've been thinking of making kefir. Have the grains & all. (it's not sold down here) Have you seen any benefits?I started on metagenic brand's lactoviden & bifoviden yesterday. Will report if better than kyo dophilus.Will still take DA-IBS, helps with food reactivity, via transient probiotics.

·
Registered
461 Posts
quote: Roger, I've been thinking of making kefir. Have the grains & all. (it's not sold down here) Have you seen any benefits?
Talissa:I'm not sure but I think so. There are times when my guts are on fire and a glass of kefir can settle that down almost immediately. I also think that my stool formation is better when I drink it regularly. My stools are usually very mushy but with kefir in my diet they appear a bit firmer and pass more readily. Of course, one minor benefit is that I really like the taste and texture.The commercial brand I drink contains 5-10 billion per 8 ounce glass of each of the following:Streptococcus lactis Streptococcus cremoris Streptococcus diacetylactis Lactobacillus plantarum Lactobacillius casei Saccharomyces fragilis Leuconostoc cremoris Bifidobacterium longum Bifidobacterium breve Lactobacillus acidophilusIt seems to include all of the strains found in other popular probiotic preparations. I tried one bottle that included FOS (supposedly as a healthier version) but the FOS gave me bad gas and bloat. I didin't like the sound of FOS before I tried it and now I will avoid anything with FOS in it.I've read that making it is pretty easy as long as you have kefir grains. It's good stuff!

·
Registered
461 Posts
quote: Roger, I've been thinking of making kefir. Have the grains & all. (it's not sold down here) Have you seen any benefits?
Talissa:I'm not sure but I think so. There are times when my guts are on fire and a glass of kefir can settle that down almost immediately. I also think that my stool formation is better when I drink it regularly. My stools are usually very mushy but with kefir in my diet they appear a bit firmer and pass more readily. Of course, one minor benefit is that I really like the taste and texture.The commercial brand I drink contains 5-10 billion per 8 ounce glass of each of the following:Streptococcus lactis Streptococcus cremoris Streptococcus diacetylactis Lactobacillus plantarum Lactobacillius casei Saccharomyces fragilis Leuconostoc cremoris Bifidobacterium longum Bifidobacterium breve Lactobacillus acidophilusIt seems to include all of the strains found in other popular probiotic preparations. I tried one bottle that included FOS (supposedly as a healthier version) but the FOS gave me bad gas and bloat. I didin't like the sound of FOS before I tried it and now I will avoid anything with FOS in it.I've read that making it is pretty easy as long as you have kefir grains. It's good stuff!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Thanks Roger. Good info. I've got pretty good directions, and the grains, but I tend to procrastinate with new strange things.
I'll try making kefir on Sunday. Now that I've commited, no backin out! Unless I think of a good excuse...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Thanks Roger. Good info. I've got pretty good directions, and the grains, but I tend to procrastinate with new strange things.
I'll try making kefir on Sunday. Now that I've commited, no backin out! Unless I think of a good excuse...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I tried kefir made from grains a while ago. I only drank 2 ounces (to be cautious). Within a few minutes, my stomach turned into a volcano! My intestines filled up with painful gas, and it took me 3 days to get over it. I took digestive enzymes with it, but that didn't help. I'm sure it was the yeast content of the kefir - I don't have that problem with yogurt. I've read many positive things about kefir as a probiotic, I wish I could take it. I'm surprised anyone with IBS can tolerate the stuff. If you try some Talissa, I'd suggest you start with only a spoonful, just in case. Hopefully you won't have the trouble I had with it.-Captain Colon

1 - 20 of 37 Posts