Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ever since I can remember, I have ALWAYS had an intense problem with hot weather. The rest of my family loves the hot weather, but I absolutely dispise it. Anything over 70 it too hot for me.Anyway, something that always tremendously helps me when I have an episode is to get somewhere cold with a lot of air.I remember one day on a very cold morning, I was outside running, and I had an episode and by pure miracle, there happened to be a porta-potty close, and I remember that the coldness helped sooo much much once my groin area was exposed to the intense coldness outside.Does anyone else find that coldness helps your IBS?

·
Registered
311 Posts
u know that being hotter than most can b a symptom of hypothyroidism..........the fact that u r here, on this site, says something, too.........it often goes undiagnosed..........most dr's r idiots........the thyroid controls many thing in the body, nerve signals r only one of many........i bet if u tested ur basil temperature, u might b surprised.........check the net for it & hypothyroidism.........if u feel hot & ur basil temp is low, then, bingo..........take the basil temp for about 5 days in a row........the fact that hot temps make u feel lousy, that is stress & stress is a big factor in D...........the thyroid controls the thermostat in the body.........if the thermostat is faulty, that would mean it doesn't cool off the body....this would make u feel really bad...........i use to b that way as a child......heat made me sick...........so u sweat when it gets warm..??...........check out the net.............

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Actually extremes of either heat or cold bother me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
funny you bring this up as i was just thinking about this the other day...the warmer weather is coming and i am dreading it. my ibs isnt NEARLY as bad in the colder months as it is in the warmer months.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hypothyroid tends to make you colder and hyperthyroid tends to make you warmer. You might just be sensitive to temperature, but it may be worth checking out. If you've been to a gastro it's often one of the earlier bloodwork studies they run

·
Registered
242 Posts
My IBS is also worse when I get hot. I think cool temperatures also calm the nerves and helps you relax. When I get hot and sweaty from the pain of the cramps due to the IBS, a cool wash cloth on my face always helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hot weather, but it can be manageable. I actually dread more allergy season right about this time of year. There's a definite link between allergies and my IBS flareups.however, last summer i survived 90+ degree heat for the first time by being a strict adherent to heather's ibs diet, including fiber, heating pads, and exercise when possible. I used to think hot weather just made things worse period, but that was also before I discovered how important diet was.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
The first 5 years I had this, I was living in the Yukon. Generally it meant cra**ing in the bush; but that was always easier in the brief summer days than in the winter. (Try an attack of D when you are cross country skiing, with layers of clothing, at 20-30 below, 3-4 feet of snow off of the trail, accompanied by a poop eating dog! Some things are just tooooo much to deal with.)Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
I live in Florida and it pretty much is hot here 10 months of the year. I think what we eat and drink in the different temps makes a difference. If it is 93 degrees I go to Starbucks and get an iced coffee. When December hits and it is 40 degrees (yes, I know you people up north are laughing that I think 40 degrees is cold), I go to Starbucks and get a hot coffee. The extreme difference between hot and cold food changes my IBS symptoms.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Not for me.. I can get wicked spasms if I drink a real hot beverage or a real cold one. Either extreme bothers me. If I shiver.. I'm doomed to have severe ab pain. And I have much more D when it is hot. If it is very warm.. sometimes.. I hit the deck. I have to limit the amount of time I am out in the heat/sun. I think this also is partly due to the very common side effect of my antispasmodic med.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.