Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 50 yr old male been suffering with IBS for several years. This Feb I was hospitalized for diverticulitis. IV Flagil and cipro for about a week. Stayed on liquids for about two weeks. During my stay there the attending Doc told me my WBC count was a little low. He didn't seem to think it was anything and didn't discuss it further. Ever since then I have had no significant BM. Alternating constipation, very small (<10mm ribbon like) stools or diarrhea. Abdominal pain that comes and goes on my upper left side as if there is a huge mass under my ribs. Lower left abdominal tenderness. My lower back seems hot all the time to the point it is difficult to sleep. I am scheduled for a colon resection on the 1st of Sept. Doc seems to think getting the damaged (diver)sigmoid out will help. Went to the ER a week ago thinking I had perferated, feeling real bad and feverish. CT reveal diverticulosis but no abcess, perferations. However, the shocking news was they said it shows a "potential" pulmonary nodule on the lower left lobe. Kinda scary. Also, probable small cyst in the liver and "old granulomatous disease". CBC came back with a low WBC count again. WBC is 3.9, just out of the ref range of 4.5-11.0. I've been on Augmenton for a couple of weeks now to prepare for surgery. The pumonary nodule and the WBC is really got me freaking out. I don't smoke, drink one to two drinks a night and am very active (stay at home dad of a 2 yr old and 5 month old). Not sure what to do... got the feeling I'm really detached from the doctors. As if they are too busy to follow through. Sorry for the rambling.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.